Photosensor-Brake System for a Small Plastic Car

In summary, you can cut off the power to the fan, make a brake that is triggered by a photo cell, or use a photo detector to detect the change of solution optical properties.
DonAlejandro
Hello,

I am attempting to expand my physical understanding of some engineering principles I’ve learned during my first semester of ChemE. I am making a small plastic car that will be propelled with a weak fan. I am attempting something similar to a ChemE project car. Is there a way I can use a photo sensor to stop the front axel from spinning? Perhaps another approach would be to brake the circuit between the small battery and the fan it powers. How should I approach this? I assume I’ll have to use an arduino or raspberry pi, which I will have to learn to program. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

Yes, you can cut off the power to the fan. Yes you can make a brake that is triggered by a photo cell.

Are there some hard requirements? For example, the car goes 5 mph and we can sense the wall 2 inches away, the car must stop before hitting the wall.

Or are you just looking for the simplest way to stop the car without any hard stopping distance requirement?

Thank you for your response. The requirement is that the car comes to a stop at a given random distance less than ten or so meters. My plan so far is to repeatedly use a color-changing chemical reaction (an iodine clock) to cause the car to stop. With collected data I can predict Acid/Base amounts. I just don't know how to use a photosensor to do anything. If the goal was to cut the power to the fan, how could I do this?

Amazon list more than 1000 hits for "photo sensor switch", some as cheap as $3.28 I'm sure that the manufacturer's datasheet for any of them will show a sample circuit.

Since your electronic skills sound pretty basic, it would be best to buy as much as you can and build as little as possible.

p.s. I don't understand anything you said about the chemical aspects of this project.

It would be possible to detect the change of solution optical properties with a simple photo detector.

If the challenge is to stop the car at a specified distance then you need to have accurate control of distance, or of both speed and time. Knowing the temperature, your chemical clock reaction may give you accurate time, but velocity will be more variable. You would need to also regulate speed somehow.

What are the specified rules that you must follow?

1. How does the photosensor-brake system work?

The photosensor-brake system uses a sensor to detect light and trigger the braking mechanism in a small plastic car. When the sensor detects a decrease in light, such as when the car is approaching an object, it sends a signal to the brakes to engage and stop the car.

2. What are the benefits of using a photosensor-brake system in a small plastic car?

The photosensor-brake system offers several benefits, including increased safety by allowing for quick and precise braking, improved control and maneuverability of the car, and reduced wear and tear on the car's physical braking mechanism.

3. Can the photosensor-brake system be customized for different environments?

Yes, the photosensor-brake system can be customized to work in a variety of environments by adjusting the sensitivity of the sensor and programming the braking response accordingly. This allows for optimal performance in different lighting conditions and terrains.

4. How reliable is the photosensor-brake system?

The photosensor-brake system is designed to be highly reliable and accurate. However, as with any technology, there is always a possibility of malfunction. Regular maintenance and testing can help ensure the system is functioning properly.

5. Can the photosensor-brake system be integrated with other safety features in a small plastic car?

Yes, the photosensor-brake system can be integrated with other safety features, such as airbags or collision detection systems, to provide a comprehensive safety system for the car. This integration can further enhance the overall safety and performance of the car.