How much work does the brake system have to do to stop the car at each speed?

In summary: Joules are a unit of energy, while kg and m/s are units of mass and velocity, respectively. So the final unit for (1/2)mv2 will be kg*m2/s2, which can also be written as Joules.No, I'm calliing ".5mv^2" a Joule.In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the kinetic energy of a car at various speeds and determining the work required for the brake system to stop the car at each speed. The kinetic energy is calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2 and the units for Joules are discussed. The final unit for (1/2)mv2 is determined to be kg*m2/s2 or Joules
laylay918

Homework Statement

Investigate the amount of kinetic energy involved when your car's speed is 60 km/h, 50 km/h, 40 km/h, 30 km/h, 20 km/h, and 10 km/h. (Find your car's mass in the owner's manual) How much work does the brake system have to do to stop the car at each speed?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the KE for each of those speeds for a 1500 kg car. The problem is the second portion of the question. How much work does the brake system have to do to stop the car at each speed? I have no idea how to solve that part because no equations are given. Anyways, here is my work for the first portion.KE = 1/2(1500kg)(60km/h)^2 = 2,700,000 J
KE = 1/2(1500kg)(50km/h)^2 = 1,875,000 J
KE = 1/2(1500kg)(40km/h)^2 = 1,200,000 J
KE = 1/2(1500kg)(30km/h)^2 = 675,000 J
KE = 1/2(1500kg)(20km/h)^2 = 300,000 J
KE = 1/2(1500kg)(10km/h)^2 = 75,000 J

Physics news on Phys.org
At 10 km/hr, the KE is 75 kJ. When the car is at rest how much kinetic energy does it have?

Hence how much work will the braking system need to do to get the KE to this value?

Make sure you check your units.

You are calling a kg (km/hr)2 a Joule. What are the units for Joules?

Villyer said:
Make sure you check your units.

You are calling a kg (km/hr)2 a Joule. What are the units for Joules?

No, I'm calliing ".5mv^2" a Joule.

laylay918 said:
Hello laylay918. Welcome to PF !

That's kinetic energy. If the mass, m, is in units of kg and the velocity, v, is in units of meters/second, the unit for (1/2)mv2 will be a Joule.

laylay918 said:

I don't mean mathematically, I mean in units.

1. What factors affect the amount of work the brake system has to do to stop a car?

The amount of work required to stop a car depends on several factors, including the car's speed, weight, and the condition of the brake system. Other factors such as road conditions and weather can also impact the amount of work needed.

2. How does the car's speed affect the amount of work the brake system has to do?

The faster a car is going, the more work the brake system has to do to stop it. This is because the car has more kinetic energy at higher speeds, and the brakes must use more force to dissipate this energy and bring the car to a stop.

3. Why does the weight of the car matter when it comes to the brake system's work?

The weight of the car also affects the amount of work the brake system has to do. A heavier car has more inertia and momentum, so it takes more work to stop it compared to a lighter car. Additionally, heavier cars may require larger or more powerful brakes to effectively stop them.

4. Does the condition of the brake system impact the amount of work it has to do?

Yes, the condition of the brake system can greatly affect the amount of work it has to do. If the brakes are worn or damaged, they may not be able to apply enough force to stop the car efficiently, resulting in more work for the system. Regular maintenance and prompt repairs can help ensure the brakes are functioning properly and reduce the amount of work required to stop the car.

5. How does the road condition and weather affect the work of the brake system?

The condition of the road and the weather can impact the work the brake system has to do. Wet or icy roads can reduce the friction between the tires and the road, making it harder for the brakes to slow down the car. In these conditions, the brake system may have to work harder and for a longer period of time to bring the car to a stop. Similarly, rough or uneven road surfaces can also require more work from the brake system to stop the car.