Phys Chem Heating water with electric current

In summary, the question asks for the final temperature of 86.9g of liquid water at 304K when heated by 1.75A passing through 24.7Ω for 104s. The equations used to solve this problem are q=ItΔψ and q=mCs,pΔT. After some calculations, the final temperature is found to be 325.65K.
speny83

Homework Statement

86.9g of liquid water at 304K is heated by 1.75A passing through 24.7Ω for 104s what is the final temp

Homework Equations

its been a while since i did physics so bear with me if i get something mixed up here
q=mCs,pΔT q=ItΔψ ψ=pot dif so isn't that just V from v=IR?

also i believe the q=ItΔψ results in units as AVs if A=Cs-1 then we would get CV which is = to 1J? long shot but maybe I am correct

The Attempt at a Solution

assuming the above is true i want to say that Tf=[(I2tR)/(Cs,pm)]+Ti

plugging in a bunch of numbers and if those units worked out how i think i get 325.65K

Does this seem legit?

Physics news on Phys.org
speny83 said:

Homework Statement

86.9g of liquid water at 304K is heated by 1.75A passing through 24.7Ω for 104s what is the final temp

Homework Equations

its been a while since i did physics so bear with me if i get something mixed up here
q=mCs,pΔT q=ItΔψ ψ=pot dif so isn't that just V from v=IR?
Looks good. It's handy to remember a few relationships for electric power when resistors are involved: P= VI, P = V2/R, and P = I2R.

also i believe the q=ItΔψ results in units as AVs if A=Cs-1 then we would get CV which is = to 1J? long shot but maybe I am correct
Sure. But since you're not given the potential difference (Voltage) across the resistor but your are given the current, you can use the current-version of the power expression. Then

##q = I^2R\:Δt~~~~~~~~~~~##where Δt is the elapsed time that the current flows.

The Attempt at a Solution

assuming the above is true i want to say that Tf=[(I2tR)/(Cs,pm)]+Ti

plugging in a bunch of numbers and if those units worked out how i think i get 325.65K

Does this seem legit?
Sure. Not only that, but your results looks good :smile:

1. How does passing electric current through water heat it up?

When an electric current is passed through water, the resistance of the water causes it to heat up. This is because the electrons in the current collide with the water molecules, transferring kinetic energy and increasing their movement, which we perceive as heat.

2. What is the scientific explanation for why electric heating is used to heat water?

Electric heating is used to heat water because it is a highly efficient and controllable method. It allows for precise temperature control and can be easily turned on and off, making it a convenient option for heating water in various applications.

3. Is heating water with an electric current safe?

Yes, heating water with an electric current is generally considered safe as long as the proper precautions are taken. This includes using a properly insulated heating element and making sure the current is not too strong, which can cause electrical shocks. It is important to always follow safety guidelines and never leave a heating element unattended.

4. Can passing an electric current through water change its chemical composition?

Yes, passing an electric current through water can cause a chemical reaction known as electrolysis, which can change the chemical composition of the water. This process separates the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gas, which can be seen as bubbles when the current is passed through the water.

5. How does the amount of electric current affect the rate at which water is heated?

The amount of electric current passing through water directly affects the rate at which it is heated. The higher the current, the more energy is transferred to the water molecules, causing them to heat up faster. However, it is important to note that using too much current can be dangerous and should be monitored carefully.