1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Phys Chem Heating water with electric current

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    86.9g of liquid water at 304K is heated by 1.75A passing through 24.7Ω for 104s what is the final temp

2. Relevant equations
    its been a while since i did physics so bear with me if i get something mixed up here
    q=mCs,pΔT q=ItΔψ ψ=pot dif so isnt that just V from v=IR?

also i believe the q=ItΔψ results in units as AVs if A=Cs-1 then we would get CV which is = to 1J???? long shot but maybe im correct

3. The attempt at a solution

assuming the above is true i want to say that Tf=[(I2tR)/(Cs,pm)]+Ti

plugging in a bunch of numbers and if those units worked out how i think i get 325.65K

Does this seem legit?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks good. It's handy to remember a few relationships for electric power when resistors are involved: P= VI, P = V2/R, and P = I2R.

Sure. But since you're not given the potential difference (Voltage) across the resistor but your are given the current, you can use the current-version of the power expression. Then

##q = I^2R\:Δt~~~~~~~~~~~##where Δt is the elapsed time that the current flows.

Sure. Not only that, but your results looks good :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted