1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physical applications of complex numbers

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-10-13_18-59-28.png

2. Relevant equations
    see picture above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can follow most of the steps, but not all. I got confused with finding ##|\frac{dz}{dt}|##. It is easy to derive ##\frac{dz}{dt}## from ##z##. Normally, I would square the two components of ##dz/dt## and take the square root to get the magnitude (velocity), but here I don't have the components. Is it a general rule that if I don't have the components of a vector, to find the magnitude, I multiply by the complex conjugate?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For a complex number z, ##|z| = \sqrt{z \cdot \bar{z}}##

4. Oct 14, 2015 #3
    What is the physical difference between ##|\frac{dz}{dt}|## and ##\frac{dz}{dt}## Could you please give a real world example (ie a car, horse, etc moving) Thank you.

5. Oct 14, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A car's speedometer gives the magnitude of the car's velocity. For example, if you drive the car around a circle at a constant speed, the speedometer needle doesn't change. Velocity is a vector quantity, so the direction of the velocity vector is changing while the car is turning, even though the speed (|v|) is not.

6. Oct 14, 2015 #5
    Thank you. I understand now that the magnitude of velocity is speed

7. Oct 15, 2015 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note that an object moving around a circle with constant speed has norm of the velocity vector constant so its derivative is 0. But the velocity vector is NOT constant so its derivative, the acceleration vector, is not 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted