Analyzing a Complex Line Integral Using Substitution and Logarithmic Properties

In summary: Have you read my reply? I doubt that ##\left[\log(f(t))\right]_a^b## equals ## \left[\log|f(t)|\right]_a^b##.According to the boundaries of integrations the argument is always positive, no?
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
if ## \gamma (t):= i+3e^{2it } , t \in \left[0,4\pi \right] , then \int_0^{4\pi } \frac {dz} {z} \ ##
Relevant Equations
complex numbers
if ## \gamma (t):= i+3e^{2it } , t \in \left[0,4\pi \right] , then \int_0^{4\pi} \frac {dz} {z} ##

in order to solve such integral i substitute z with ##\gamma(t)## and i multiply by ##\gamma'(t)##
that is:
##\int_0^{4 \pi} \frac {6e^{2it}}{i+3e^{2it}}dt=\left.log(i+3e^{2it}) \right|_0^{4 \pi}=##

##= log\left (i+3e^{i8 \pi }\right) - log\left (i+3\right)=##

##= log\left (i+3\right)-log\left (i+3\right)##

there must be something wrong but i don't see where I'm making the mistake. Because in such way the result will be zero but shouldn't be so.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see relation between z in the integral and defined ##\gamma##. z=##\gamma##? Why (4##\pi##) in parenthesis ? Why the result should not be zero ?

Last edited:
DottZakapa said:
Homework Statement:: if γ(t):=i+3e(2it),t∈[0,4π],then∫0(4π)dzz
Relevant Equations:: complex numbers

if γ(t):=i+3e(2it),t∈[0,4π],then∫0(4π)dzz

in order to solve such integral i substitute z with γ(t) and i multiply by γ′(t)
that is:
∫0(4π)6ie(2it)i+3e(2it)dt=log(i+3e(2it))|04π=

=log(i+3e(i8π))−log(i+3)=
=log(i+3)−log(i+3)
there must be something wrong but i don't see where I'm making the mistake. Because in such way the result will be zero but shouldn't be so.
I think you should either first eliminate the complex denominator or otherwise integrate properly with ##\log| i +3e^{2it}|## and calculate the absolute value first and then insert the limits.

Likes DaveE
DottZakapa said:
Homework Statement:: if ## \gamma (t):= i+3e^\left(2it \right) , t \in \left[0,4\pi \right] , then \int_0^\left(4\pi \right) \frac {dz} {z} \ ##
Relevant Equations:: complex numbers

if ## \gamma (t):= i+3e^\left(2it \right) , t \in \left[0,4\pi \right] , then \int_0^\left(4\pi \right) \frac {dz} {z} \ ##

in order to solve such integral i substitute z with ##\gamma(t)## and i multiply by ##\gamma'(t)##
that is:
##\int_0^\left(4\pi \right) \frac {6ie^\left(2it\right)} { i+3e^\left(2it \right)} dt =\left. log(i+3e^\left(2it\right)) \right|_0^{4 \pi }=##

##= log\left (i+3e^\left(i8 \pi \right)\right) - log\left (i+3\right)=##
##= log\left (i+3\right)-log\left (i+3\right)##
What about using the Residue Theorem?

Likes FactChecker
anuttarasammyak said:
I do not see relation between z in the integral and defined ##\gamma##. z=##\gamma##? Why (4##\pi##) in parenthesis ? Why the result should not be zero ?
i am not understanding your reply...
anuttarasammyak said:
Why (4##\pi##) in parenthesis ?
because i made a typo which i have now corrected.

anuttarasammyak said:
I do not see relation between z in the integral and defined ##\gamma##. z=##\gamma##?
according to the theorem of complex line Integral :
##\int_{\gamma}f(z)dz= \int_a^b f(\gamma(t))\gamma'(t)dt ##

anuttarasammyak said:
Why the result should not be zero ?

because the result given end on wolfram is not zero but ##8\pi i##

PeroK said:
What about using the Residue Theorem?
i did not study it yet, was trying to solve it with the line integral theorem

DottZakapa said:
i did not study it yet, was trying to solve it with the line integral theorem
The least you could do is recognise you are going round the same circle four times. So, integrate from ##0## to ##\pi## and then multiply by four.

It easier once you know the residue theorem. Which gives ##8\pi i##.

PeroK said:
The least you could do is recognise you are going round the same circle four times. So, integrate from ##0## to ##\pi## and then multiply by four.

It easier once you know the residue theorem. Which gives ##8\pi i##.
ok i will have a look to residue theorem, but just to understand, have I applied the line integral correctly?

DottZakapa said:
ok i will have a look to residue theorem, but just to understand, have I applied the line integral correctly?
Have you read my reply? I doubt that ##\left[\log(f(t))\right]_a^b## equals ## \left[\log|f(t)|\right]_a^b##.

Likes Delta2
Consider this.
$$\log e^{2\pi i} = 2\pi i$$ because ##\log## and ##e^z## are inverse functions, and
$$\log e^{2\pi i} = \log 1 = 0$$ because ##e^{2\pi i} = 1##. Which one is correct?

Likes benorin, DaveE, Delta2 and 1 other person
fresh_42 said:
Have you read my reply? I doubt that ##\left[\log(f(t))\right]_a^b## equals ## \left[\log|f(t)|\right]_a^b##.
it is not the same, but according to the boundaries of integrations the argument is always positive, no?

DottZakapa said:
it is not the same, but according to the boundaries of integrations the argument is always positive, no?
What do you mean by positive if you didn't get rid of the complex numbers? As I see it you have three possibilities:
  1. Integrate ##\dfrac{6e^{2it}}{ i + 3e^{2it}}=\dfrac{(6 e^{2it}) \cdot ( -i + 3e^{2it})}{1+9e^{4it}}##.
  2. Apply the correct formula for ##\displaystyle{\int \dfrac{f'(t)}{f(t)}}\,dt = \log\,|f(t)|\,## with the absolute value in the logarithm before inserting the limits.
  3. Residue theorem.

Sorry but(not considering the boundaries of integration) isn't this like this?
##\int \frac {6ie^{2it}}{i+3e^{2it}}dt=log|i+3e^{2it}|= log|i+3(cos(2t)+i sin(2t))| ##

I haven't done the math, but this looks ok. You only have to compute the (real valued) length at some stage. All three ways should of course result in the same number.

fresh_42 said:
I haven't done the math, but this looks ok. You only have to compute the (real valued) length at some stage. All three ways should of course result in the same number.
ok, so if the above is true, then also this holds. Correct?
##\int_0^{4\pi} \frac {6ie^{2it}}{i+3e^{2it}}dt=\left.log|i+3e^{2it}|\right|_0^{4\pi}=\left. log|i+3(cos(2t)+i sin(2t))|\right|_0^{4\pi} ##

DottZakapa said:
ok, so if the above is true, then also this holds. Correct?
##\int_0^{4\pi} \frac {6ie^{2it}}{i+3e^{2it}}dt=\left.log|i+3e^{2it}|\right|_0^{4\pi}=\left. log|i+3(cos(2t)+i sin(2t))|\right|_0^{4\pi} ##
I think so. But why don't you calculate the absolute value? This has to be done prior to the evaluation at the end points.

because i don't understand what should i do with that absolute value.

Likes Delta2
It is the norm of a complex number: ##|z|=\sqrt{|z|\cdot|\bar{z}|}=\sqrt{\Re(z)^2+\Im(z)^2}##, and the integral of ##\dfrac{y'}{y}## is ##\log|y|##. Hence you cannot avoid the norm.

You can also proceed by possibility #1 where you only have ##c\cdot e^{nit}## terms to integrate.

I would solve the integral in all three ways for practicing, starting from #1 to #3. You can e.g. look up the residue theorem on Wikipedia.

Likes DaveE
fresh_42 said:
Apply the correct formula for ##\displaystyle{\int \dfrac{f'(t)}{f(t)}}\,dt = \log\,|f(t)|\,## with the absolute value in the logarithm before inserting the limits.
I don't think this is correct for complex integration. It'll just lead to the same result that confused the OP in the first place.

vela said:
I don't think this is correct for complex integration. It'll just lead to the same result that confused the OP in the first place.
Yeah, maybe. I haven't checked. But the idea of complex path integrals is a real parameterization, so that possible complex numbers become constants and the integral a real one.

DottZakapa said:
Kind of, but not really. How's that for confusing?

You used the idea that ##\int (dz/z) = \log z##, but you have to be careful. You're assuming ##\log z## is an antiderivative of ##1/z##, but under what conditions can you say this? There are ways to work around this difficulty. My question above, which you seem to have completely ignored, was intended to get you to consider what you're doing more carefully.

Likes fresh_42
vela said:
Kind of, but not really. How's that for confusing?

You used the idea that ##\int (dz/z) = \log z##, but you have to be careful. You're assuming ##\log z## is an antiderivative of ##1/z##, but under what conditions can you say this? There are ways to work around this difficulty. My question above, which you seem to have completely ignored, was intended to get you to consider what you're doing more carefully.
i did not ignore it, was just trying to see the connection with the exercise and your statement

vela said:
Consider this.
$$\log e^{2\pi i} = 2\pi i$$ because ##\log## and ##e^z## are inverse functions, and
$$\log e^{2\pi i} = \log 1 = 0$$ because ##e^{2\pi i} = 1##. Which one is correct?
both are correct

So we must conclude that ##2\pi i = 0##?

By the way, how do you know the original integral shouldn't evaluate to 0?

What is a complex line integral?

A complex line integral is a mathematical concept in which a function of a complex variable is integrated along a curve in the complex plane. It is used to calculate the total value of a complex function along a given path.

How is a complex line integral different from a regular line integral?

A complex line integral involves integrating a function of a complex variable, while a regular line integral integrates a function of a real variable. Additionally, the path of integration in a complex line integral is a curve in the complex plane, while in a regular line integral it is a curve in the real plane.

What is the significance of the contour used in a complex line integral?

The contour used in a complex line integral is important because it determines the path along which the function is integrated. Different contours can result in different values for the integral, and choosing the appropriate contour is crucial in obtaining an accurate result.

How is a complex line integral calculated?

A complex line integral is typically calculated by breaking down the curve into smaller segments and approximating the integral using Riemann sums. The smaller the segments, the more accurate the result will be. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the Cauchy integral formula.

What are some real-world applications of complex line integrals?

Complex line integrals have many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating electric and magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer. They are also used in complex analysis and in solving certain types of differential equations.