Physical meaning of the equation E = - del V

• I
  • Thread starter Flying_Dutchman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Del Physical
In summary, the electric field is the negative of the vector perpendicular to the equipotential surface, and the potential energy is the negative of the vector perpendicular to the potential surface.
Flying_Dutchman
The gradient of a function gives a vector perpendicular to it's surface. So the equation reads electric field is the negative of the vector perpendicular to the equipotential surface. I know electric field and understand potential but I can't physically make sense for the above sentence how LHS is equal to RHS.
Hope anyone will answer .Thank you !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It’s a definition. You may be able to visualize the relationship if you consider a standard topographical map as a two-dimensional analogy: the gradient of the altitude is a vector perpendicular to the contour lines of equal height, and it points in the direction that a ball at that point will naturally roll.

Likes Flying_Dutchman
The gradient does not just give any random vector which is perpendicular to the equipotential surface, but specifically the vector whose magnitude is equal to the rate of change of the function in that direction. So perhaps it is a little easier to understand:

The electric field is a vector whose direction is normal to the equipotential surface and whose signed magnitude is equal to the negative rate of change of the potential in that direction.

Likes Flying_Dutchman
Flying_Dutchman said:
I know electric field and understand potential but I can't physically make sense for the above sentence how LHS is equal to RHS.

Start by looking at an ideal parallel plate capacitor. What is the relationship between the voltage difference between the plates and the electric field between the plates?

Likes Flying_Dutchman
Nugatory said:
It’s a definition.
Not in the way it's usually presented in introductory college-level physics textbooks and courses. Field is defined as force per unit charge and potential is defined as potential energy per unit charge. From there the relationship between field and potential is derived.

Likes Flying_Dutchman
Flying_Dutchman said:
The gradient of a function gives a vector perpendicular to it's surface. So the equation reads electric field is the negative of the vector perpendicular to the equipotential surface. I know electric field and understand potential but I can't physically make sense for the above sentence how LHS is equal to RHS.
Hope anyone will answer .Thank u !

I often do not understand this type of question, because you essentially have accepted this in another form. Let me prove it to you.

Multiple both sides by a charge q that is in this E and V fields, i.e. you get

qE = - ∇qV

which is nothing more than

F = - ∇U

where F is the force acting on the charge q, and U is the potential energy. This is the general relationship between the force and the potential energy, i.e. force is the gradient of potential energy field.

Now, do you have a problem having an understanding or a visual picture of this, because you have accepted this already when it is applied to kinematics, such as force in a gravitational field. There is nothing different here, with the mathematics being identical to each other.

Zz.

1. What is the physical meaning of the equation E = - del V?

The equation E = - del V represents the relationship between electric potential energy (E) and electric potential (V). It states that the electric field (E) is equal to the negative gradient of the electric potential (V). In other words, the electric field is a measure of how the electric potential changes over distance.

2. How is this equation related to electric fields?

The equation E = - del V is directly related to electric fields because it defines the electric field in terms of the electric potential. This equation is a fundamental tool in understanding and calculating electric fields in various systems.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in the equation?

The negative sign in the equation E = - del V is important because it indicates that the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the electric potential gradient. This means that the electric field points from higher electric potential to lower electric potential.

4. Can this equation be applied to both conservative and non-conservative systems?

Yes, this equation can be applied to both conservative and non-conservative systems. In conservative systems, the electric potential energy is only dependent on the position of the charges, and the electric field is conservative. In non-conservative systems, the electric potential energy is also dependent on other factors such as the motion of charges or external forces.

5. How is this equation used in practical applications?

The equation E = - del V is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and in the study of electromagnetic fields. It is also used in fields such as electrochemistry and materials science to understand the behavior of charged particles in different environments.