Mentor
- 50,916
- 26,943
N88 said:I think that Bell (1964), equation (1), is adequate
What about his equation (2)?
N88 said:I think that Bell (1964), equation (1), is adequate
N88 said:I disagree with Bell's move from his (14a) to his (14b).
PeterDonis said:Didn't we already discuss this ad nauseam in a previous thread?
PeterDonis said:Just in case it's not clear from the paper, Bell's equation (2) already contains the local realism assumption.
N88 said:I take Bell's (1) to be the local realism assumption
N88 said:We seem to differ slightly here: I take Bell's (1) to be the local realism assumption.
Is there a readily available paper of that? I have struggled To get that outcome. Thanks!stevendaryl said:I said that I was going to drop out, but after thinking about the model that @N88 was sketching, I realize that it is almost exactly the model Bell considered in "Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics". Bell didn't talk in terms of the spin vector rotating, but it amounts to the same thing:
So this is the same as the model of @N88, with the specific choice:
- Assume that there is an intrinsic spin vector [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/itex] associated with each spin-1/2 particle.
- If you measure the particle's spin along axis [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] then you get +1, if the angle between [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/itex] is less than 90 degrees, and -1 otherwise.
- In correlated twin-pairs, if one particle has intrinsic spin [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/itex], then the other particle has spin [itex]-\vec{\sigma}[/itex].
[itex]\hat{a} \circ \vec{\sigma} = sign(\hat{a} \cdot \vec{\sigma})[/itex]
where [itex]sign(x) = \pm 1[/itex] depending on whether [itex]x > 0[/itex] or [itex]x < 0[/itex]
This model gives the correlation [itex]\langle (\hat{a} \circ \vec{\sigma})(\hat{b} \circ -\vec{\sigma}) \rangle = \frac{2 \phi}{\pi} - 1[/itex]
where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{b}[/itex]. This gives the same answer as the QM prediction for the special cases [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] and [itex]\phi = \pi[/itex], but gives the wrong answer for other values of [itex]\phi[/itex]. (The quantum prediction is [itex]E(\hat{a}, \hat{b}) = - cos(\phi)[/itex])
You're not going to come up with a local realistic model that makes the same predictions as QM, because there provably are none (subject to known loopholes).
Jilang said:Is there a readily available paper of that?
Thanks, I am struggling to get from equation 9 to 10. Is there a proof if this?PeterDonis said:Bell's 1964 paper is linked to in post #3 of this thread.
Jilang said:I am struggling to get from equation 9 to 10
Jilang said:I am struggling to get from equation 9 to 10
PeterDonis said:Bell's 1964 paper is linked to in post #3 of this thread.
DrChinese, thank you, I like this very much; it's very helpful to me.DrChinese said:(1) is part of it, where we have independence for a and b. So that's fine.
But the next part is adding unit vector c, which is done right after (14a). This is the assumption that EPR made, that there were elements of reality even to quantum attributes that could not be simultaneously observed. You could observe 2 out of a, b, c after all. But you can't observe all 3 simultaneously. (EPR: "No reasonable definition of reality could be expected" to require they also be simultaneously observable.) So (14b) is the mathematical expression of the EPR statement.
Now the bigger picture here is to understand that Bell did not spell this out, he knew his readers (the very few) would get this. And it doesn't matter whether everyone points this out with a big arrow, the fact is that every proof of Bell does the same thing one way or another. There is always a, b and c. It is realizing that the relationships between the 3 cannot be made to work out, even if you hand pick the outcomes yourself. If you haven't tried to do this, this is the time.
And as to your disagreeing with the move from (14a) to (14b): it is your right to reject the realism assumption and replace it with something else that represents realism to you. Just be aware that won't match EPR, and you shouldn't expect agreement from other scientists. Obviously, this has already been thoroughly considered by many.
N88 said:DrChinese, thank you, I like this very much; it's very helpful to me.
But, since you know (at my present stage of learning) there's a few 'buts' coming, here's the first: BUT I disagree with EPR's definition! So a disproof of their (IMHO) badly-worded definition of an element of physical reality is (for me) to be expected and accepted without argument! So if, as you seem to correctly and clearly insist, Bell refutes EPR under EPRB, then we agree! For I then understand this: Bell's move from (14a) to (14b) is based on EPR. And that basis is exactly AS EXPLAINED by d'Espagnat (1979) in SciAm.
So I trust I have this right: Every proof of Bell does the same thing one way or another. There's always a, b and c. Bell's bigger picture is the realisation that the relationships between the 3 cannot be made to work out under the EPR definition of an element of physical reality. Moreover, a large part of the mainstream world in physics thinks that all local-realistic definitions fail similarly.
But this leaves me with this continuing problem: Is there not a better expression of local-realism -- exactly like in d'Espagnat (1979) 3-part wording, which I fully accept (without the EPR-based inference) -- that voids Bell's move from (14a) to (14b)?
N88 said:Bell's bigger picture is the realisation that the relationships between the 3 cannot be made to work out under the EPR definition of an element of physical reality.
N88 said:Is there not a better expression of local-realism -- exactly like in d'Espagnat (1979) 3-part wording, which I fully accept (without the EPR-based inference) -- that voids Bell's move from (14a) to (14b)?
PeterDonis said:No, Bell's bigger picture is the proof that the relationships between the 3 cannot be made to work out under his mathematical definition of "local realism". Whether that mathematical definition properly captures the EPR definition, which was in ordinary language, is a different question.
Nobody has found one. If you think there is, the only way to find out is to try and find one.
N88 said:under Bell's broad specification of λ, I do not see why λ cannot vary from run to run
N88 said:the mathematical support for (A(a, λ))2= 1 continues to escape me
stevendaryl said:I said that I was going to drop out, but after thinking about the model that @N88 was sketching, I realize that it is almost exactly the model Bell considered in "Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics". Bell didn't talk in terms of the spin vector rotating, but it amounts to the same thing:
So this is the same as the model of @N88, with the specific choice:
- Assume that there is an intrinsic spin vector [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/itex] associated with each spin-1/2 particle.
- If you measure the particle's spin along axis [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] then you get +1, if the angle between [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/itex] is less than 90 degrees, and -1 otherwise.
- In correlated twin-pairs, if one particle has intrinsic spin [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/itex], then the other particle has spin [itex]-\vec{\sigma}[/itex].
[itex]\hat{a} \circ \vec{\sigma} = sign(\hat{a} \cdot \vec{\sigma})[/itex]
where [itex]sign(x) = \pm 1[/itex] depending on whether [itex]x > 0[/itex] or [itex]x < 0[/itex]
This model gives the correlation [itex]\langle (\hat{a} \circ \vec{\sigma})(\hat{b} \circ -\vec{\sigma}) \rangle = \frac{2 \phi}{\pi} - 1[/itex]
where [itex]\phi[/itex] is the angle between [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] and [itex]\hat{b}[/itex]. This gives the same answer as the QM prediction for the special cases [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] and [itex]\phi = \pi[/itex], but gives the wrong answer for other values of [itex]\phi[/itex]. (The quantum prediction is [itex]E(\hat{a}, \hat{b}) = - cos(\phi)[/itex])
You're not going to come up with a local realistic model that makes the same predictions as QM, because there provably are none (subject to known loopholes).
PeterDonis said:It can.
##A(a, \lambda)## represents the result of Alice's measurement given a measuring device setting ##a## and some particular value for ##\lambda##. Since Alice will always measure either spin up or spin down, i.e, +1 or -1, it follows that the square of whatever result she gets, for any ##a## and any ##\lambda##, must be 1.
The diagram in post 45 illustrates why I am struggling I think. If b is at a given angle from a should it be drawn as a cone around a rather than as a line?stevendaryl said:I think it's a mistake to replace a precise, completely clear definition be replaced by a fuzzy definition that is too vague to reason about. The fact is that there is no model that anyone has proposed that makes the same predictions as quantum mechanics for EPR that is clearly intuitively local, by any definition. The fact that you tried to sketch such a model and ended up with exactly the model that Bell used to prove his point is, I think, telling.
Thanks Peter, but I still don't see how the a.b gets in there.PeterDonis said:If you plug equation 9 into equation 2, and use ##\rho(\lambda) = 1## (uniform distribution, as specified in the text just before equation 9), you get (I'm leaving off the vector symbols for ease of typing)
$$
P(a, b) = \int d\lambda A(a, \lambda) B(b, \lambda) = - \int d\lambda \ \text{sign} \ a \cdot \lambda \ \text{sign} \ b \cdot \lambda = - \langle \text{sign} \ a \cdot b \rangle
$$
In other words, P(a, b) is minus the expectation value of the sign of ##a \cdot b##. But that expectation value is given by equation 5 in the paper (more precisely, the same logic that led from equation 4 to equation 5 in the paper leads to the above). This gives us equation 10.
Jilang said:The diagram in post 45 illustrates why I am struggling I think. If b is at a given angle from a should it be drawn as a cone around a rather than as a line?
N88 said:Thanks for this. Again, as always, I appreciate your detail. However, with respect: The sign in my model is determined by the "spin-flip" in that (to use your example), it allows* for opposite signs to yours whether [itex]\phi > 0[/itex] or [itex]\phi < 0[/itex]. So the constraint you propose does not apply.
* The explanation for this allowance is that the interaction of the spin-vector [itex]\vec{\sigma}[/itex] with the field-orientation/gradient [itex]\hat{a}[/itex] involves more complex dynamics than Bell's model permits.
N88 said:Under DrChinese view, as I understand it, the product that Bell uses derives from different runs of the experiment (due the vector c that DrChinese refers to). So, as I understand it:
1. It is the EPR assumption that allows Bell to assume the same λ is available. Without EPR, the product (over different runs, and not now a squaring) might involve λi differing from λj and a possible result of -1.
2. In this way, with EPR setting the widely-accepted standard for "local realism", local realism fails.
3. I therefore interpret Bell's result as the failure of CFD and the survival of locality.
I hope this is now OK, and an acceptable view?
stevendaryl said:First of all, you do realize that the model you were sketching, in which you assume that there is a function [itex]\hat{a} \circ \vec{\lambda}[/itex] that yields Alice's result, OBEYS CFD? So your model has nothing to do with exploiting the CFD loophole.
Jilang said:I still don't see how the a.b gets in there.
N88 said:the product that Bell uses derives from different runs of the experiment (due the vector c that DrChinese refers to).
You also make this point in post #3, "So what guarantees that Bob will get -1?". One way is to only count the pairs that match within a specific short time-frame and assume any that do not match are noise or were not entangled in the first place.stevendaryl said:You can allow that the operator [itex]\circ[/itex] is nondeterministic, but then we're back to the question: If it's nondeterministic, then how can you guarantee that Alice and Bob will get the same value for [itex]\hat{a} \circ \vec{\lambda}[/itex]?