1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physicists' Earning adn Scope of INT MS with Physics

1. Jun 21, 2015 #1
    How much do physicist earn cause i want to be a physicist. My parents and friends want me to taks CS as my subject and do B Tech. They say a CS engineers earn around (160,000-300,000)$ a year. And they also say there is no scope of a physicist in India.

Well I am confused so help me. I want to go for research not in CS and make money but they say money is necessary too. Now I'm thinking to take physics as my subject and go for 5 year INT MS course in some IIT (Indian Institute Of Technology). Should I go or not please reply.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2015 #2
    Depends on what rank of physicist you are talking about. A full professor will earn more than a postdoc. But if you want to make a lot of money, physics probably isn't for you.

4. Jun 21, 2015 #3
    If your primary goal in life is to make money, your chances of succeeding could be better if you established business as a psychic rather than a physicist.

5. Jun 21, 2015 #4
    no i don't wanna make money these are my parents words they say all about money. in reality i want to study the concepts of nature and this universe i am totally fascinated by physics role in nature and i could know the reality behind everything by science(physics) not by superstitious belief.

I have written this post just to know how much a physicist can earn and reply these to my parents so they also support me.I am thinking that later i will do PhD and then becoming a professor.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  6. Jun 21, 2015 #5
    Translate 'physicist' into 'engineer', I am sure your parents would not disagree with that as a good career prospect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook