Theoretical vs Experimental Physics -- which is more glamorous?

In summary: Experimental physics easier and pays better than theoretical...Depends on your skillset, theoretical physics can be rewarding in its own right, but it's not always the best career path.
Lost bird
I am worried that I am passionate about physics and yearn for a career in physics(through theoretical physics), and by a career I mean a placement in a prestigious institute and then be part of leading physics, but would that require sacrificing my entire 20s and even 30s or can I can get all that and earn a decent amount of money, and by decent I mean I can afford an international holiday at least once in 2 years, support a family of 4 people including me, also, is experimental physics easier and pays better than theoretical, I really am passionate but I want to live a full life, I should be able to go on holidays, spent time with family, buy what an above average person can afford and also follow my hobby(film making).

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow. Can you diagram that single sentence please? I can't even find the question there, and if you are talking about experimental or theoretical in the body of the text.

Vanadium 50 said:
Wow. Can you diagram that single sentence please?
Here you go! :smile:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fa/51/f4/...f816c4c--love-sentences-complex-sentences.jpg

fa51f480f5d16b165e7bc3e57f816c4c--love-sentences-complex-sentences.jpg

Attachments

• fa51f480f5d16b165e7bc3e57f816c4c--love-sentences-complex-sentences.jpg
    fa51f480f5d16b165e7bc3e57f816c4c--love-sentences-complex-sentences.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,369
Likes russ_watters, Bystander, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
I'm not sure that the "theoretical/experimental" dichotomy is what you think it is.

When you reach a point in your academic career when you need to branch off, usually the decision is not "experimental" or "theoretical" but a question of which sub-field of physics you want to specialize in for your graduate work. And the career-employment options tend to be much more a function of that decision. For example, because medical physics tends to be more of a professional discipline, there tend to be a lot more direct field-related jobs as compared to say someone who went into astrophysics and studied galactic collisions through computer simulations (though if that latter person developed strong programming skills there are likely many tangential job opportunities).

The financial reality of academia isn't great, but it's not horrible, either. Lots of people manage to support families, and even go on vacations as post-docs. (Sometimes you can even combine the two by vacationing after you attend a conference.) Usually the biggest problem is that the more specialized you get, the less job options you have in that area. And so, while there may be *something* available, as a post-doc you might have to move to a different city and drag your family with you.

And you don't have statistics in your corner. If on average a professor trains ~ 10 PhDs over his or her career, only one will replace that professor at retirement. There may be some growth over that timespan, but the reality is that most PhDs will leave academia.

Lost bird said:
I am worried that I am passionate about physics and yearn for a career in physics(through theoretical physics), and by a career I mean a placement in a prestigious institute and then be part of leading physics, but would that require sacrificing my entire 20s and even 30s or can I can get all that and earn a decent amount of money, and by decent I mean I can afford an international holiday at least once in 2 years, support a family of 4 people including me, also, is experimental physics easier and pays better than theoretical, I really am passionate but I want to live a full life, I should be able to go on holidays, spent time with family, buy what an above average person can afford and also follow my hobby(film making).

Before you grapple with what your physics path might be, you should grapple with some sentence and thought structure in your conversational anatomy.

<3

Likes alan2
OK. I'll dive in, I'm going on vacation the rest of the week and got nothing to loose.

Lost bird said:
... prestigious institute and then be part of leading physics...

Not many of them across the planet, post-doc there is a possibility, regular appointment limited to maybe the top 50 theoreticians in the world.

Lost bird said:
...sacrificing my entire 20s and even 30s...

pretty much a given, plan on at least two post-docs and graduate school, which is taking more and more time.

Lost bird said:
...earn a decent amount of money, and by decent I mean I can afford an international holiday at least once in 2 years, support a family of 4 people including me...

What do you mean decent amount of money, international travel isn't cheap, if you plan on that, then plan on going without things between vacations, faculty salaries aren't exactly generous, if you can actually get a faculty position and tenure down the road. Try saving or paying for a house and a vacation, it isn't easy, I make 6 figures but because of where I work, where my family lives (which is not where I work) and how much I have to pay for college for one of my kids, I'm lucky if I can afford a short trip back to see my wife and kids once a month and we have taken only one vacation (not international) in the past 4 years.

Lost bird said:
... support a family of 4 people including me...

all in how you live, little ones are expensive and it doesn't get any cheaper as they get older.

Lost bird said:
...is experimental physics easier and pays better than theoretical,...

I don't think I have ever seen experimental vs theoretical salaries, so that isn't really a question that can be answered.

Lost bird said:
...I really am passionate but I want to live a full life, I should be able to go on holidays, spent time with family, buy what an above average person can afford and also follow my hobby(film making)...

you have to have hobbies, but if they interfere with your career, then you need to think about what your career is...

Oh man there is a whole lot of things I didn't even know I should consider, :nb) I am too young for that(I am 18), I think for now I should just focus on getting admission into a good college(I'll be applying for Oxford too, pray for me) and not get tensed about starting a family and buying a house, I'll just do bachelors in physics first and then think about those things, otherwise I'll start panicking. Thanks for all the help. And about that "diagramming the sentence" thing, pardon me I just right lavishly sometimes :), probably something I need to improve before writing my personal statement.

Likes DeBangis21 and berkeman
Lost bird said:
I'll just do bachelors in physics first and then think about those things...
If you love physics, then this is a great plan. You will have plenty of time in the next couple of years to think about this and in the process you will learn more about the field, your options, and what you really love. When I started as an undergrad at Caltech about 90% of the students come in sure that they wanted to study Math or Physics; but they graduate in a diverse range of fields: Physics, Astronomy, Chemical Engineering, Geology, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, etc.

Lost bird said:
I just right lavishly sometimes :), probably something I need to improve before writing my personal statement.
Also a good idea. Clear communication is very important in any advanced field of study, as is attention to detail. Most technical fields don't really want you to right (sic) lavishly.

I want to go back to what I think is the "hidden" issue here, and that relates to the topic that you chose for this thread:

Theoretical vs Experimental Physics -- which is more glamorous?

Answer: Neither.

In fact, if your intention of doing physics is for the prestige, glamor, fame, fortune, etc..., then you will be sadly disappointed, and your chances diminish even more, because you are doing it for the wrong reason. Physics is too difficult and too demanding to do for such wrong reasons, and you will get discouraged very easily.

But not only that, I will put it to you that you really have no accurate idea yet of what is meant by "theoretical physics" and "experimental physics". So how can you even decide on something that you only have a superficial idea of at this stage?

Zz.

Both theoretical and experimental physicists have won Nobel Prizes, which is about as "glamorous" as it gets in physics.

<Moderator's note: following post merged to this thread.>

Will I have better career option at the end of Bachelors if I do general physics or theoretical physics? my first choice used to be theoretical physics because theoretical physics was my prime motivation to develop extreme passion for physics but now I see other very exciting fields also like quantum computing with an enormous scope of growth in the upcoming decades unlike core theoretical physics like general relativity which is a relatively slow field, and I also believe that after doing my bachelors I'll get exposed to more fields than I know right now and would probably have a different decision than what I think I should do for masters right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You should realize that if you earn a PhD and land an academic job you will probably make twice the median income. Realize that very few people land “prestigious” jobs. Every state university in the US is staffed by people who graduated from prestigious universities but couldn’t get hired by prestigious universities. There are a lot more graduates than job openings at those places so you’ll probably end up teaching a lot of intro physics lectures, for most people it’s not what they imagined.

Lost bird said:
<Moderator's note: following post merged to this thread.>

Will I have better career option at the end of Bachelors if I do general physics or theoretical physics? my first choice used to be theoretical physics because theoretical physics was my prime motivation to develop extreme passion for physics but now I see other very exciting fields also like quantum computing with an enormous scope of growth in the upcoming decades unlike core theoretical physics like general relativity which is a relatively slow field, and I also believe that after doing my bachelors I'll get exposed to more fields than I know right now and would probably have a different decision than what I think I should do for masters right now.
In another thread, you identified yourself as a high school student in India. It would be helpful for you to post links describing programs for a BS in what you call "general physics" vs "theoretical physics". I'm not familiar with any such programs in the US. Here, you typically get a BS in "physics". Some universities offer a BS in "applied physics" or "engineering physics".

If you are in the states, I would recommend getting an associates degree in MRI technology, or something applicable. Something that doesn't suck your time and money away and gives you a really good job. Why not think about a specific career instead of what your major will be in school.

Lost bird said:
The right choice is not between Theoretical and Experimental Physics in order to find glory. The right choice is combine a degree in SOMETHING practical with at least some Physics. You could take your chances trying to earn an undergraduate degree in Physics, hopefully to do well and move onto a graduate degree in Physics. Even along the way in undegrad level, you MUST learn something from Engineering and Computer Science/Programming. The better pathways for future employment would be, major degree in Engineering, and any other useful coursework in computer technology/science/programming and whatever physics you can handle beyond the standard requirements for your Engineering or C.S. degree.

You asked about how to achieve a glorious position in Physics at a prestigious place. My basic advice is find a path (either in Engineering or some applied science) for being able to find a good job.

Likes Marisa5
Lost Bird,
I almost missed your point.
You can work toward earning an undergraduate degree in Physics, and some important electives to include to be able to prepare for who-knows-exactly-what employment positions would be from Engineering, computer Science/Programming, and other physical sciences (or any practical sciences).

1. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental physics?

Theoretical physics involves using mathematical models and equations to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. Experimental physics, on the other hand, involves conducting experiments and gathering data to test and validate theories.

2. Which field is considered more glamorous?

This is a subjective question and depends on personal interests and preferences. However, some may consider theoretical physics more glamorous as it often involves groundbreaking and abstract concepts that can capture the imagination.

3. Is one field more important than the other?

Both theoretical and experimental physics are equally important in advancing our understanding of the universe. Theoretical physics provides the framework for understanding physical phenomena, while experimental physics provides empirical evidence to support or refute theories.

4. Are there any notable differences in the education and training required for each field?

Theoretical physics typically requires strong mathematical skills and a background in advanced mathematics, while experimental physics requires hands-on experience with laboratory equipment and data analysis techniques. Both fields also require a deep understanding of physics principles and theories.

5. Can one person be both a theoretical and experimental physicist?

Yes, it is possible for a person to have knowledge and experience in both theoretical and experimental physics. However, it is more common for physicists to specialize in one field or the other due to the different skill sets and approaches required.