1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics 3-D Force Vector Question

1. Sep 22, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the magnitude of the projected component of F1 along the line of action of F2, if the cables each exert a force of 410 N on the post.

qPbBkvH.png

The attempt at a solution

I know how to figure out F2x, F2y, and F2z, but I have no idea how to find F1y and F1x. Also, what does it mean by "F1 along the line of action of F2" and how would I give a final answer in that format?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2013 #2
    For F1x and F1y , first calculate the projection on the given line in between x and -y >> G = F1 cos(90-35) then
    F1x = G cos(20) and F1y = G cos(90+20) .
    For F1 in the direction of F2 just take the dot product... (F1.F2)/ |F2|.

seems right to me, but please check with the angles and all...
    Regards.

4. Sep 22, 2013 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pretend that F2 is an axis - F1 has a component parallel to F2 and another one perpendicular to it.

Hint: what do dot and cross products do?

Note: debsankar has attempted to all-but do the problem for you - something that is usually unhelpful in the long-term. You should attempt to understand the approach used as well as applying it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted