Physics 3-D Force Vector Question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the magnitude of the projected component of F1 along the line of action of F2, given that the cables exert a force of 410 N on the post. The suggested approach involves calculating the projection of F1 on the given line and using dot and cross products to determine the final answer. However, the angles and details should be checked and the student is reminded to understand the approach rather than relying on someone else to solve the problem.
AIDB
Homework Statement

Determine the magnitude of the projected component of F1 along the line of action of F2, if the cables each exert a force of 410 N on the post.

qPbBkvH.png
The attempt at a solution

I know how to figure out F2x, F2y, and F2z, but I have no idea how to find F1y and F1x. Also, what does it mean by "F1 along the line of action of F2" and how would I give a final answer in that format?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
For F1x and F1y , first calculate the projection on the given line in between x and -y >> G = F1 cos(90-35) then
F1x = G cos(20) and F1y = G cos(90+20) .
For F1 in the direction of F2 just take the dot product... (F1.F2)/ |F2|.

seems right to me, but please check with the angles and all...
Regards.

what does it mean by "F1 along the line of action of F2" and how would I give a final answer in that format?
Pretend that F2 is an axis - F1 has a component parallel to F2 and another one perpendicular to it.

Hint: what do dot and cross products do?

Note: debsankar has attempted to all-but do the problem for you - something that is usually unhelpful in the long-term. You should attempt to understand the approach used as well as applying it.

1. What is a force vector in physics?

A force vector is a representation of a force that includes both magnitude and direction. It is commonly used in physics to describe the forces acting on an object.

2. How is a 3-D force vector represented?

A 3-D force vector is represented by three components: the x, y, and z components. The magnitude of the force is determined by the length of the vector, while the direction is determined by its orientation in 3-D space.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector in physics?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature and mass, while examples of vectors include force and velocity.

4. How do you calculate the resultant force of multiple 3-D force vectors?

The resultant force can be calculated by finding the vector sum of all the individual force vectors. This can be done by adding the x, y, and z components separately using vector addition rules.

5. How are 3-D force vectors used in real-life applications?

3-D force vectors are used in various real-life applications, such as engineering, sports, and video game design. They are also used in physics experiments to analyze and predict the motion of objects in 3-D space.