Physics Angular Momentum Question

In summary, the answer to this question is unknown because it is impossible for the Earth to spin so fast that it has as much angular momentum in its spin as in its orbit.
gsimo1234
Why is it, in terms of gravitational forces (not relativistic terms), impossible that the Earth spin so fast that it have as much angular momentum in its spin as in its orbit?

I'm stuck on this practice problem; I'm not even sure where to start. Any clues and important tips would really help. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
gsimo1234 said:
Why is it, in terms of gravitational forces (not relativistic terms), impossible that the Earth spin so fast that it have as much angular momentum in its spin as in its orbit?

I'm stuck on this practice problem; I'm not even sure where to start. Any clues and important tips would really help. Thanks for the help!

This question seems confusing. Are you saying something to the effect of...the Earth can't spin too fast because its intrinsic angular momentum would have to equal its orbital angular momentum?

Well, as practice, i calculated the Lspin of the Earth (Iw) and Lorbit of the Earth (r x p)..Now, the Lorbit>Lspin. So the question is, why can't the spin angular momentum be equivalent to the orbit angular momentum. The answer has something to do with gravitational forces or something

gsimo1234 said:
Well, as practice, i calculated the Lspin of the Earth (Iw) and Lorbit of the Earth (r x p)..Now, the Lorbit>Lspin. So the question is, why can't the spin angular momentum be equivalent to the orbit angular momentum. The answer has something to do with gravitational forces or something

One idea is this: assume the condition is true--that the spin angular momentum is equal to the orbital. Then calculate whether the spin velocity is so great that the Earth's surface velocity doesn't exceed the escape velocity or something crazy. Just a notion.

that is a very very good idea..does anyone else have any other tips?

Related to Physics Angular Momentum Question

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating along its current axis of rotation. It is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of an object's linear motion. Angular momentum takes into account an object's rotation around an axis, while linear momentum only considers an object's straight-line motion.

3. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotation) by its angular velocity (the rate at which it is rotating) and its distance from the axis of rotation. The formula is L = Iωr, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, ω is angular velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that in a closed system with no external torque acting on it, the total angular momentum remains constant. This means that if one part of the system changes its angular momentum, another part of the system will experience an equal and opposite change in its angular momentum in order to keep the total constant.

5. How is angular momentum used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles like satellites and rockets, the study of planetary motion, and the functioning of gyroscopes. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of spinning objects, such as tops and frisbees.