Physics applications in cancer research/treatment

In summary, the speaker is a third year undergraduate physics major who is considering pursuing a masters degree in engineering, but wants to find a way to incorporate their passion for cancer research into their career. They are interested in knowing what fields of physics would be relevant for developing treatment methods or machinery for cancer, and are also requesting examples of how physics research is currently being used in medical treatments. Some potential resources for further exploration are provided.
Matthew Slater
I am a third year undergraduate physics major. Often time people ask what I want to do with physics, and I didn't really have an answer for them. I guess I always assumed I'd pursue a masters degree in some kind of engineering, but I want to be able to do something that I'm passionate about. Something that has impacted my life tremendously has been cancer, and I would like to eventually work on developing better treatment methods for the disease.
What fields of physics would I need to get into in order to work on developing either treatment methods or machinery used in treatment? Could you also provide some examples in which physics research is being used in medical treatments? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

1. How is physics used in cancer research?

Physics is used in cancer research in various ways. One common application is the use of imaging techniques such as X-rays, MRI, and PET scans to detect and monitor tumors. Physics is also used to study the physical properties of cancer cells, such as their elasticity and motion, which can provide valuable insights into their behavior and response to treatments.

2. How does radiation therapy work in cancer treatment?

Radiation therapy, also known as radiotherapy, uses high-energy radiation to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors. Physics plays a crucial role in this treatment by precisely targeting the radiation beams to the tumor while minimizing exposure to healthy tissues. This is achieved through computerized treatment planning and advanced imaging techniques.

3. Can physics help improve cancer diagnosis and treatment?

Yes, physics has greatly contributed to advancements in cancer diagnosis and treatment. For example, the development of new imaging techniques and technologies such as proton therapy have improved the accuracy and effectiveness of cancer treatments. Physics also plays a crucial role in drug development and testing, which can lead to more targeted and efficient therapies.

4. What is the role of nanotechnology in cancer research?

Nanotechnology, the manipulation of matter on a nanoscale, has shown great potential in cancer research and treatment. It allows for targeted drug delivery to cancer cells, improving the effectiveness of treatments while minimizing side effects. Nanoparticles can also be used for imaging and early detection of tumors.

5. How is physics used in studying the behavior of cells and tissues in cancer?

Physics is used to study the mechanical and structural properties of cells and tissues in cancer. Techniques such as atomic force microscopy and microfluidics allow researchers to measure the forces and movements of cells, providing insights into their behavior and interactions with other cells. These studies can help in understanding the spread of cancer and developing new treatments to target it.