1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Career vs Medical Career

1. Mar 1, 2013 #1
    Hey guys!

I've been a biochem major for a little while but I recently took a calculus course and received an 89 and I found that although mathematics may seem a little tedious, I truly love it. In addition, I really like chemistry but mainly the the manners in which physics impacts chemistry (e.g. black body experiments, atomic orbitals, etc). I entered college truly believing that I wanted to go to medical school, and I still do, but it seems I'm at a crossroads.

Does anyone have advice to offer?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Going to medical school is a great goal, but IMO it should be because you enjoy patient (Pt) contacts. Have you had an opportunity to volunteer in a medical setting? Or have you had good contacts in first aid situations where you felt like you made a positive difference for someone who needed medical help?

My full-time day job is in engineering, but I got my EMT cert 5 years ago and really enjoy my Pt contacts, even with difficult Pts. If your desire to go to medical school is not based on wanting to help Pts, I would say that pursuing your newfound technical passions would be the best for you. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook