Physics Challenge II: Bouncing out of the atmosphere

In summary, we are considering a stack of ##n## balls with masses ##m_1## to ##m_n##, dropped from a height ##h## above the ground. Neglecting air resistance and assuming elastic collisions, the top ball will bounce to a height of ##h_n=(2^{n+1}-1)^2h##. For the case where ##h=1## meter and ##\ell## is negligible, we can solve for the value of ##n## that will cause the top ball to reach a height of 1 kilometer or escape velocity. The solution for 1 kilometer is ##n=6##, and the solution for escape velocity is ##n=12##.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Part 1:
Consider ##n## balls ##B_1##, ##B_2##, ..., ##B_n## having masses ##m_1##, ..., ##m_n##, such that ##m_1\ll m_2\ll ...\ll m_n##. The ##n## balls are stacked above each other. The bottom of ##B_1## is a height ##h## above the ground, and the bottom ##B_n## is a height ##\ell## above the ground. The balls are dropped. In terms of ##n##, to what height does the top ball bounce. Assume the balls bounce elastically, assume there is no wind resistance, etc.

Part 2: Assume that ##h## is ##1## meter and assume ##\ell## is negligible. How big should ##n## be in order that the top one reaches a height of ##1## kilometer. How big should ##n##be in order that the top one reaches escape velocity? (Escape velocity is approximately ##11200~m/s##)

attachment.php?attachmentid=60972&stc=1&d=1376766983.png

Attachments

• balls.png
    balls.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 628
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Seems trivial enough...

Treat the collision of the stack with the ground as a series of collisions. Ball 1 with the ground, ball 2 with ball 1, etc.

Let v be the velocity of the stack when the first ball strikes the ground.
Let vn denote the recoil velocity of each ball after colliding with the previous.

Because each collision is elastic and because each ball is much less massive than the previous, the center-of-momentum frame is approximately co-moving with the previous ball. In this frame, the impact velocity of ball i will be v + vi-1. Its recoil velocity will be identical.

In the ground frame, the recoil velocity vi = v + 2vi-1. This is a first order linear recurrence relation marred by the fact that it is inhomogeneous. In the case at hand, we can easily compute v and can easily run an iteration to compute the first ten or twenty values of vi.

In meters per second,

v = sqrt(2gh) = sqrt(19.6) ~= 4.42 meters/sec.

0 0 << Ball 0 is "the ground"
1 4.42
2 13.26
3 30.94
4 66.3
5 137.02 << Just under enough to reach 1 km
6 278.46 << Enough to reach 1 km.
7 561.34
8 1127.1
9 2258.62
10 4521.66
11 9047.74
12 18099.9 << Escape velocity exceeded by ball 12
13 36204.22
14 72412.86
15 144830.14
16 289664.7
17 579333.82
18 1158672.06
19 2317348.54

But this is a math forum. Numerical solutions are not as classy as analytical solutions.

I am rather rusty at solving recurrence relations and, in particular, in doing the change of variables that is required to make them homogeneous -- it has been about 35 years since we covered that material in school.

vi+1 = v + 2*vi
vi+1 + v = 2 * ( v + vi )

A change of variables to let v'i = vi + v should work.

So v'i = v'0 * 2i

The boundary condition that v0 = 0 means that v'0 ~= 4.42 m/s.

Then v12 = ( 4096 * v ) - v = 4095*v ~= 18100 m/s

This matches the numerical result.

Last edited:
A short version of the formula: ##v_i=(2^{i+1}-1)v## where ##v=\sqrt{2gh}##
Why do we have ##\ell##?

If the initial heights of the balls are h, 4h, 16h, 64h, ... above the top of the previous ball, you get a periodic system where each ball exactly hits the ball below it when this is at rest. This requires mathematical precision, of course...

Recall that I'm asking three questions, not only the speed.

1) Find a formula for the height in terms of n
2) What value of n causes the top ball to go higher than 1 kilometer
3) When do we reach escape velocity

Height is proportional to velocity squared, so ##h_i=\frac{v_i^2}{2g}## with ##v_i=(2^{i+1}-1)\sqrt{2gh}## => $$h_i=h(2^{i+1}-1)^2$$
This neglects that g depends on the height.

For (2) and (3), see jbriggs444.

mfb said:
Height is proportional to velocity squared, so ##h_i=\frac{v_i^2}{2g}## with ##v_i=(2^{i+1}-1)\sqrt{2gh}## => $$h_i=h(2^{i+1}-1)^2$$
This neglects that g depends on the height.

For (2) and (3), see jbriggs444.

Remember that only parts (2) and (3) say that ##\ell## is negligible, not (1). So there is a term ##\ell## missing. It's correct besides of this though.

Anyway, congratulations to jbriggs444 and mfb for their nice solutions!

1. What is the purpose of the "Physics Challenge II: Bouncing out of the atmosphere" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the physics of a bouncing ball in the Earth's atmosphere and how it behaves as it reaches different altitudes. It also aims to understand the factors that affect the height and speed of the bouncing ball, such as air resistance and gravity.

2. How does air resistance affect the bouncing ball's trajectory?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion and slows it down. As the ball bounces higher and reaches different altitudes with varying air densities, the amount of air resistance it experiences changes, causing its trajectory to change as well.

3. What role does gravity play in this experiment?

Gravity is the force that pulls the bouncing ball towards the Earth. It is responsible for the ball's acceleration as it falls towards the ground and its deceleration as it bounces back up. The strength of gravity also varies with altitude, which affects the ball's trajectory.

4. How does the mass of the bouncing ball affect its behavior?

The mass of the ball affects its acceleration due to gravity. Heavier balls will experience a greater force of gravity and will accelerate faster towards the ground. However, the mass of the ball does not affect its air resistance, which is primarily based on its surface area and shape.

5. What other factors can impact the height and speed of the bouncing ball?

In addition to air resistance and gravity, the height and speed of the bouncing ball can also be affected by the initial velocity at which it is thrown, the angle at which it is thrown, and the surface on which it bounces. These factors all contribute to the overall energy of the bouncing ball and can impact its behavior in the Earth's atmosphere.