1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics/ChE/philosophy triple major?

1. Jul 20, 2012 #1
    I always waste so much time analyzing these majors but its hard to choose so I decided to do all 3. I want to end up in ChE for personal interest but I might change my mind if anything more interesting comes up in physics but I look at the common core classes of physics and their descriptions are less interesting than the ChE core courses. I want physics to get a better understanding of it to apply it to ChE. I found that I only understand things at higher level courses. I don't follow the vauge detailless intro books. I might even take advanced calculus and/or topology because the elementary/intermediate calculus books don't detail enough. I like to paint a perfect picture with many details. I don't like leaving things to chance. I like to know that I know what's going on. I'm satisfied with chemistry right now. The chemistry books detail way more than needed to solve those basic problems but if you believe a better understanding of chemistry beyond elementary general chemistry and elementary Organic chemistry will be worth the time then let me know. I want philosophy to improve my thinking skills but I will most likely just crash those courses since they have no lab. Any people with a ChE BS that took extra physics classes or independently studied more physics? Did it help you significantly or could you live without it? Oh. And I'm going straight for ChE PhD right after the ChE BS. I just want to go in well prepared. If something is worth the time then I want to do it. Is it normal that these elementary books with little details have caused me to feel clueless? Yes, I overanalyze. I still don't understand some of the math but the teachers tell me not to worry about it. It seems like they are more concerned with me just getting the right answer. I don't like that. I like understanding the logic and being precise. Do I really only need the right answer for the math in ChE? Lol. Like I said I do like to paint a perfect picture. So just answer as many questions as possible but if you only want to answer one question then at least answer the most important ones.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2012 #2
    This doesn't seem to be very possible unless you are a super genius.

I did undergrad at Georgia Tech - which is an engineering school (in the sense that this is probably what it is best known for - at the moment). It was pretty well agreed to that ChemE is among the hardest of the majors (with AE and BME also up there.) To have a ChemE career, you are going to have to bust your tail if this was your only major. You are going to have to do internships so summer classes are probably out of the picture.

Combine this with the fact that Physics is also an incredibly difficult major and will require an enormous amount of time. I think most people around here (the good ones) would say they studied physics for about 35-40 hours a week (at least.)

Additionally, you say "but I will most likely just crash [the philosophy] courses since they have no lab"

I don't know what you mean by "crash" but if you mean that you won't actually make any effort, or you don't think you will have to make effort, to do well in those classes, well, this is just silly.

First, what is the point of majoring in a subject that you aren't going to study? That seems insane to me. No chemical company or grad school or anyone is going to care that you majored in philosophy (unless you want to go to grad school in philosophy - which you don't). This would just be a colossal waste of time.

Second, do you think that it is the lab portions that make a course hard? The lab portions are probably hard, but the theory is just as important and, in most cases, harder than the stuff in the lab.

Third, do you think that you won't have any other assignments in the phil. classes? I can about bet you that you will be writing 5-10 essays in each philosophy class and you will be writing those essays on very hard philosophy texts. For example, read Symposium and then form an opinion and write a college-level essay on something from that book. The philosophy classes are going to be H-A-R-D.

So, if by "crash" you mean "just show up and not do anything" the you are going to have one big surprise coming your way.

4. Jul 20, 2012 #3
    What I mean by "crash" is go to the classes without being enrolled. I brought up lab because I can't just crash in physics because it has a lab. I do believe lab is essential to me. I don't like to just memorize the "assumptions" that people made. I have to see that it actuall works. I thought it was clear that I want to be well prepared to take the classes. A deeper understanding. I just want to know. I don't care about the employer. Only about myself. I am doing it for me. After the PhD, I don't care if I just sit at home for 20yrs ChE without getting paid. I'm asking if taking the other classes would be worth it. When thinking of the answers to my questions, assume peoples perception of me mean nothing to me. This is only for myself. All I care about is learning and understanding as much as possible

5. Jul 20, 2012 #4
    20yrs studying* ChE

6. Jul 20, 2012 #5
    actually I might just change to physics because ChE involes peoples perceptions which I really don't care much about at all. I don't believe in "human need". ChE is just entertainment for me but if this is gonna present a problem then ill just change to physics. ChE was just the branch of physics that I prefered, really.

7. Jul 20, 2012 #6
    Well..... I don't mind kissing asses if it helps the objective(understanding as much as possible).

8. Jul 20, 2012 #7
    OK, gotcha. In this case, I would just read some philosophy and write essays about it. Going to class would help, but for classes like that, the essays are "the lab".

See, this is the problem. Right NOW you don't care if in 20 years you are broke. However, in 20 years, you WILL care that you are broke. You are not worried about money now because you have never had to worry about money. All of this stuff about understanding more is certainly a noble goal, but there is absolutely no reason that you have to be broke to understand more.

9. Jul 20, 2012 #8
    How far are you in your curriculum? For now, keep your options open and take classes you're interested in I would say. I'm soon to graduate with a B.S. in chemical engineering, let me know if you have questions.

10. Jul 20, 2012 #9
    I'm just trying to say don't let money, peoples perceptions or anything else restrict your suggestions. For me, understanding is highly valued beyond those. I'm too lazy to get into detail of exactly what I want(like I said, if its worth it then ill take the extra time) but ill be alright with getting paid half of what ChE teachers make. Oh yeah. I want to be a ChE teacher because I don't want to go through all of this just to forget 70% of it and ill be more sure that I know it if I can explain it to others. Basically, I want to maximize my understanding but since I have to consider time, I want to know if the other two majors will be worth the time. I'm like to overanalyze but since overanalyzing has become regular analyzing to me, I have to state a goal that is reasonable with time because if I had all the time, I would do every math/chem/physics experiment and actually go through every proof to make sure its real but since time is there, I am willing to memorize some "assumptions". Ok. So my reasonable goal is I want to be able to answer the questions of every overanalytical student in class. I want that much understanding.

11. Jul 20, 2012 #10
    (If the other two majors or a little extra independent study in them will be worth the time)*

12. Jul 20, 2012 #11
    perceptions? what?

figure out what these topics actually are. it sounds like you know very little about what each major is and what each major will require, and what benefit each major actually offers.

my advice: don't bother with a double major. do meaningful stuff outside of class instead, and try and build a strong social circle.

most people will value you more for your personality, which is heavily influenced by how you spend your free time, far more than they will your knowledge or academic ability.

13. Jul 20, 2012 #12
    Perceptions(how people see you). yeah. Yeah. Your whole post was about satisfying peoples perceptions. I thought I made it clear that I really don't care about what people think.

14. Jul 20, 2012 #13
    I don't know how to make it any clearer. Stop thinking about how people see me or what they want. I only care about what I want. And I'm willing to please people if it will help my objective

15. Jul 20, 2012 #14
    Anyways..... I also want to be a teacher to review and reinforce my knowledge. I'm in no rush( if I was actually going for the triple major then I would take 12 units per semester and 5-10hrs of working as a tutor). I don't like stacking because I like to analyze further than the course matieral usually requires.

16. Jul 20, 2012 #15
    I am no ones achievement list nor will I ever be. I only do things for me. I think that should make it more clear

17. Jul 20, 2012 #16
    Basically, if your statement is going to include any feelings, emotions or the words: pride, shame, embarassing or care then Its most likely something I don't care about

18. Jul 20, 2012 #17
    Okay, I guess I did suggest something which you explicitly said you don't care about.

It sounds like you know what you want right now. Do it. If you focus on studying ChE or Physics, either path will bring at least moderate success.

My only suggestion is: start caring about what other people think. Don't let it determine things. But still take it into account. Successful people ALWAYS get help from others in some form. Value people around you.

19. Jul 20, 2012 #18
    The fact people are reluctant to reply to this thread might be an indication that "what people might think" can influence you in ways you are not aware of.

That said, I think extra physics courses for a better understanding for chemistry makes sense. A whole extra major, however, makes less sense. Then again, you say you're also very interested in physics (seemingly not just as an aid for chemistry) so in that case it's a different game. I agree with an earlier comment that you don't seem to know what you're after. If it's really just "learning as much as you can" then yeah do as many majors as you can, but you need some more sensible boundary conditions to get a sensible solution to your problem I'm afraid.

(And as for the philosophy major, yeah that makes little sense in the context you mentioned it.)

Also, try to refrain from double-posting (or quintuple-posting, as it maybe).

20. Jul 20, 2012 #19
    I'm putting impressions of what I believe. I'm not discussing it in detail. I enjoy solitude and analyzing. Ofcourse I'm gonna consider how all things are related to one another no matter how insignificant I believe they are. I already said if something helps the objective then ill do it because I already considered these things. Philosophy because it will improve my thinking stills by practicing logic. I already put boundaries. My focus is ChE and my reasonable goal is to understand the subject enough to be able to answer the questions of all overanalytic students.

21. Jul 20, 2012 #20
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook