1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Conservation of Matter Question

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the set-up:
    -there is a lab bench that is a certain height above the floor, "H"
    -on the bench is a ramp that is a certain height above the bench top, "h"
    -a ball is dropped on the ramp and then is "launched" in the air and eventually falls to bounch on the ground. How can I calculate the distance from the bench where the ball bounces first?

I have "h" and "H".

2. Relevant equations

To calculate the speed of the ball I did:

Eg=Ek
    mgh=(1/2)mv^2

I'm unsure how to proceed from here to find the distance. I don't have the mass of the ball, the acceleration or any angle for the ramp.

Other possible equations I could use are:
    W = ∆ K Ek
    W = F d cos θ

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I have to take into account that there are 2 forces acting on the ball. The first is the horizontal force propelling the ball forward and the force of gravity pulling on the ball.

I was thinking of finding Ek and Eg again and add them together for Et to use in the work formula. But I don't have the mass of the ball.

I'm just unsure what to do from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2009 #2
    From what I understand, you don't need the m of the ball because:

mgh=1/2mv^2

therefore gh=1/2v^2

4. Apr 9, 2009 #3
    I think you have to break it up into components (x and y)

Sorry if this doesn't help

5. Apr 9, 2009 #4
    No it did actually. I was working on it with a friend and it helped a lot. I figured it out now. Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook