1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Electric Field Problem

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Frensley_E-Forces_Field-Source_011.gif

Three charges are set in the plane of the page so that they form the vertices of a right triangle of lengths a = 3 meters, b = 4 meters, and c = 5 meters. The charges |Q1| = 2.40 10^-3 C and |Q2| = 1.80 10^-3 C have unknown sign. Charge q = -4. 10^-4 C has a total electric force F directed upward due to the other two charges.

Determine the magnitude of the electric field at the position of q due to the other two charges.

2. Relevant equations
    k = 9 × 109 N m2/C2
    E=kq/d^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the charges Q1 and Q2 are negative, thus the electric field is going towards them, but I'm not sure what to do after this, any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you work out the force on q (magnitude and direction) due to each of Q1, Q2 separately?

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3
    Yes, I found the force from Q1 to be 1350000, and the force from Q2 to be 1800000. I'm not sure what to do after this though.

5. Feb 16, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You have two forces, and you know their magnitudes and directions. Do you know how to add vectors?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook