What are the top books in physics for a freshman engineer

In summary, I think that Serway is an excellent book to start with for a freshman engineering student interested in physics specifically in mechanics, but I would recommend also studying from a more specific book on mechanics such as Landau and Lifshitz's "Course of Theoretical Physics Volume 1: Mechanics".
Islam Barakat
I am freshman engineering student and i want to improve myself in physics specially in mechanics
now i study from "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics ( 8E 2009 ) Raymond A. Serway, John W. Jewett" (Serway)
and i want to know if (Serway) will be enough for my study (Mechatronics) or shall i study from a more specific book in mechanics ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard a lot about Landau and Lifshitz's book "Course of Theoretical Physics Volume 1 - Mechanics". Check that out, it might help you.

Likes Islam Barakat
Wrichik Basu said:
I've heard a lot about Landau and Lifshitz's book "Course of Theoretical Physics Volume 1 - Mechanics". Check that out, it might help you.
thank you

I do not recommend Landau and Lifshitz's book for a freshman engineer. At least in the US, it is considered a book for advanced undergraduates or beginning graduate students in physics. Again, in the US a physics background at the level of Serway is probably fine for preparing you for the engineering mechanics courses that would be part of the curriculum.

If you have spare time and desire to study mechanics at a higher level on your own, you can either look at the next level of physics books or look at engineering mechanics books. I am not familiar with most so hesitate to recommend any for you to purchase. It may be worthwhile for you to go to your library and look at physics books such as:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521876222/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521198119/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are also many engineering books. A free one can be found here:
http://ruina.tam.cornell.edu/Book/

Good luck,

Jason

Likes Demystifier and Islam Barakat
jasonRF said:
I do not recommend Landau and Lifshitz's book for a freshman engineer. At least in the US, it is considered a book for advanced undergraduates or beginning graduate students in physics. Again, in the US a physics background at the level of Serway is probably fine for preparing you for the engineering mechanics courses that would be part of the curriculum.

If you have spare time and desire to study mechanics at a higher level on your own, you can either look at the next level of physics books or look at engineering mechanics books. I am not familiar with most so hesitate to recommend any for you to purchase. It may be worthwhile for you to go to your library and look at physics books such as:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521876222/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521198119/?tag=pfamazon01-20

There are also many engineering books. A free one can be found here:
http://ruina.tam.cornell.edu/Book/

Good luck,

Jason
thank you

No no no, please don't read Landau if you are a freshman :doh: To read Landau, I think you need a good mathematics and physics background.
I can say that if you only read Serway, it's not enough for you to study mechatronics, but it is indispensable because without learning it, you can't learn further, higher. Keep reading Serway or Halliday to learn the fundamental. Besides, you can read some books like David Morin or John R. Taylor like the guy above, they are very good books too.
After having a solid background, you can move to a next level, called Theoretical Mechanics. Theoretical Mechanics / Analytical Mechanics is very necessary if you want to be an engineer, and Landau's book and some theoretical mechanics books will take effect. But that is the story of a few later semesters.
So, keep reading Serway and Morin (or J.R.Taylor), learn math and master them to have a solid background about fundamental physics, those are the things you should do first.
Keep learning :biggrin:

Likes Islam Barakat and Demystifier
Nguyen Son said:
No no no, please don't read Landau if you are a freshman :doh: To read Landau, I think you need a good mathematics and physics background.
I can say that if you only read Serway, it's not enough for you to study mechatronics, but it is indispensable because without learning it, you can't learn further, higher. Keep reading Serway or Halliday to learn the fundamental. Besides, you can read some books like David Morin or John R. Taylor like the guy above, they are very good books too.
After having a solid background, you can move to a next level, called Theoretical Mechanics. Theoretical Mechanics / Analytical Mechanics is very necessary if you want to be an engineer, and Landau's book and some theoretical mechanics books will take effect. But that is the story of a few later semesters.
So, keep reading Serway and Morin (or J.R.Taylor), learn math and master them to have a solid background about fundamental physics, those are the things you should do first.
Keep learning :biggrin:
Thank you!
I think it is a brilliant advice and i will take it :oldlove:

1. What are the essential books in physics for a freshman engineer?

The essential books in physics for a freshman engineer will vary depending on the specific curriculum and focus of the program. However, some commonly recommended books include "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "Electricity and Magnetism" by Edward Purcell.

2. Are there any books in physics that are specifically geared towards engineering students?

Yes, there are several books in physics that are specifically tailored towards engineering students. Some examples include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Douglas Giancoli and "Physics for Engineers and Scientists" by Hans Ohanian and John Markert. These books often have a more practical and applied approach to physics concepts.

3. What is the best way to choose a textbook for a freshman engineering physics course?

The best way to choose a textbook for a freshman engineering physics course is to consult with your professor or academic advisor. They will have a better understanding of the specific needs and goals of the course and can recommend a textbook that aligns with those objectives. You can also ask upperclassmen or do some research on the most commonly used textbooks in similar courses at other universities.

4. Are there any online resources or open-access textbooks available for freshman engineering physics?

Yes, there are many online resources and open-access textbooks available for freshman engineering physics. Some examples include "OpenStax Physics" and "Khan Academy Physics." These resources can be a great supplement to a traditional textbook or can even serve as the main source of information for self-study.

5. What is the importance of reading books in physics for a freshman engineering student?

Reading books in physics is crucial for a freshman engineering student as it provides a solid foundation of fundamental concepts and principles. These books also help students develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in the field of engineering. Additionally, reading books in physics can also help students prepare for exams and future courses in their academic career.