Physics : force versus displacement?

In summary, the graph shows forces acting positively in the direction of motion and negatively opposing the motion. The object under consideration has a mass of 2.0kg and was initially at rest. The kinetic energy and speed can be calculated at different distances (d) as follows: a) d= 2.0m, W= 8J, V= 2.83m/s b) d= 4.0m, W= 20J, V= 4.47m/s c) d= 6.0m, W= 38J, V= 5.83m/s d) d= 8.0m, W= 56J, V
Plasm47
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the graph below, forces labelled positive act in the direction of motion of the object, forces labelled negative oppose the motion. The object under consideration has a mass of 2.0kg and was initially at rest. Calculate its kinetic energy and speed when
a) d= 2.0m
b) d= 4.0m
c) d=6.0m
d) d= 8.0m

1CQ8P.jpg

I know W is area under the graph, but not positive how to apply it. I assume the question is only asking for that moment in time, and NOT a time period.
so for (a) it would be W= 4.0N x 2.0m = 8J; which would also be Ek
and V= 2.83m/s
if this is correct then b and c follow the same method, so i got those right aswell.
Not sure of the procedure when the Force is negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plasm47 said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the graph below, forces labelled positive act in the direction of motion of the object, forces labelled negative oppose the motion. The object under consideration has a mass of 2.0kg and was initially at rest. Calculate its kinetic energy and speed when
a) d= 2.0m
b) d= 4.0m
c) d=6.0m
d) d= 8.0m

1CQ8P.jpg

I know W is area under the graph, but not positive how to apply it. I assume the question is only asking for that moment in time, and NOT a time period.
and V= 2.83m/s
if this is correct then b and c follow the same method, so i got those right aswell.

Just one real problem. The area under the graph up to 2 m is not 4 x 2.

The area is not a rectangle - it is a trapezium 2 units wide, and 6 units high on one side and 4 units high on the other.
You can calculate it as the rectangle you used PLUS the triangle at the top if you like.

PeterO said:
Just one real problem. The area under the graph up to 2 m is not 4 x 2.

The area is not a rectangle - it is a trapezium 2 units wide, and 6 units high on one side and 4 units high on the other.
You can calculate it as the rectangle you used PLUS the triangle at the top if you like.

I thought only the area under the variables (x=2, y=4) were considered in the calculations, thus meaning anything that exceeps 4N is irrelavent. Please explain furthur so I can understand the procedure.

Plasm47 said:
I thought only the area under the variables (x=2, y=4) were considered in the calculations, thus meaning anything that exceeps 4N is irrelavent. Please explain furthur so I can understand the procedure.

If that were true, then if you take the first 6m, the area is zero, since it is 0N by then.

Look at the graph up to 6m - there is a large triangle under the graph up to that point. Base 6, height 6 so area 18units [18J actually]

If you consider only at the (2m,4N) position, there is no area. There is a line 4N high, but a line has zero thickness so the area of the line is zero.

The area under a velocity time graph gives the displacement. 2 hours after driving away from a traffic light [on a long straight road], my velocity is 45 km/h. does that mean I am 90 km from the light?

Last edited:
PeterO said:
If that were true, then if you take the first 6m, the area is zero, since it is 0N by then.

Look at the graph up to 6m - there is a large triangle under the graph up to that point. Base 6, height 6 so area 18units [18J actually]

If you consider only at the (2m,4N) position, there is no area. There is a line 4N high, but a line has zero thickness so the area of the line is zero.

The area under a velocity time graph gives the displacement. 2 hours after driving away from a traffic light [on a long straight road], my velocity is 45 km/h. does that mean I am 90 km from the light?

Please note I updated the last distance to 90 km - I had contemplated using just 1 hour.

Plasm47 said:

a) d= 2.0m
b) d= 4.0m
c) d=6.0m
d) d= 8.0m

1CQ8P.jpg

and V= 2.83m/s

re sentence in red
Not really.
They do want to know the speed at that instant of time, but that is determined by what happens during the preceding time interval, so the area under the graph means the area under the graph up to that point..

PeterO said:

ok that makes sense. So that being said, i'll post what i got for (a)
a)to calculate work, solve for area under curve
W= l x w + (bXh)/2
W= 2m x 4N + (2m x (6N-4N)/2
W= 8J + 2J
w= 10 J
The Ek is equivalent to w since there is no work lost in the process.
Ek= 10J

now, solve for velocity
Ek= 0.5 (m)v2
v2= 2x10J/2kg
v2= 10
v= √10
v=3.16m/s (to two sig digs)

if this is correct, then (b), (c), and (d) will follow the same process. Also, i estimate the W will be larger for b and more so for c.

Last edited:
Plasm47 said:
ok that makes sense. So that being said, i'll post what i got for (a)
a)to calculate work, solve for area under curve
W= l x w + (bXh)/2
W= 2m x 4N + (2m x (6N-4N)/2
W= 8J + 2J
w= 10 J
The Ek is equivalent to w since there is no work lost in the process.
Ek= 10J

now, solve for velocity
Ek= 0.5 (m)v2
v2= 2x10J/2kg
v2= 10
v= √10
v=3.16m/s (to two sig digs)

if this is correct, then (b), (c), and (d) will follow the same process. Also, i estimate the W will be larger for b and more so for c.

That's better. And when you get to 8m, the "negative work" - the force will be slowing down rather than speeding up the mass - the speed will be knocked back to a familiar answer.

PeterO said:
That's better. And when you get to 8m, the "negative work" - the force will be slowing down rather than speeding up the mass - the speed will be knocked back to a familiar answer.

Oh yeah! the kinetic energy and velocity in (d) are the same as those calculated in (b)
thanks for all your help, greatly appreciated!

1. What is the definition of force in physics?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull on an object resulting from its interaction with another object. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can be represented by a vector with magnitude and direction.

2. How is force related to displacement in physics?

Force and displacement are related through the concept of work, which is defined as the product of force and displacement. The work done by a force on an object is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

3. What is the difference between a conservative and non-conservative force?

A conservative force is a type of force that does work on an object that is independent of the path taken, only depending on the starting and ending positions. Examples of conservative forces include gravity and electrostatic forces. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, depend on the path taken and include friction and air resistance.

4. How does displacement affect the amount of work done by a force?

The amount of work done by a force depends on the magnitude and direction of the force as well as the displacement of the object. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work done will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work done will be negative. If there is no displacement, no work is done.

5. Can the displacement of an object ever be greater than the force applied to it?

No, the displacement of an object cannot be greater than the force applied to it. This is because the work done by a force is equal to the force applied multiplied by the displacement in the direction of the force. Therefore, the displacement can only be equal to or less than the force applied.