Physics Forces Problem: Helicopter lifting a truck

In summary, using the equations F = ma and W = mg, the tension in the lifting cable for a large military helicopter lifting a 6000-kg truck with an acceleration of 4 m/s2 is calculated to be 8.3 * 104N. This is determined by setting the sum of forces on the truck (T - mtruckg) equal to the mass of the truck multiplied by its acceleration (mtrucka). The equation used for this is T - mtruckg = mtrucka.
XcKyle93

Homework Statement

A large (15,000-kg) military helicopter lifts a 6000-kg truck straight up out of a danger zone with an acceleration of 4 m/s2. Calculate the tension in the lifting cable.

Homework Equations

F = ma
W = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe T = 8.3 * 104N, but I am unsure.
For the truck: ƩFy = -mg + T = mtruck * a = 24000
T = 24000 + mtruckg = 24000 + (6000 * 9.8) = 8.3 * 104N

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your equation should be

mhelia = T-mtruckg

As I am assuming that the helicopter is now lifting the truck off of the ground.

Why would it be mhelia instead of mtrucka? That doesn't make much sense to me.

The forces acting on the truck are gravity and tension, so
ƩFon truck = T - mtruckg = mtrucka

1. How is the weight of a helicopter and truck calculated?

The weight of a helicopter and truck is calculated by multiplying the mass of each object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). The total weight is the sum of the individual weights.

2. What are the forces involved in lifting a truck with a helicopter?

The main forces involved in lifting a truck with a helicopter are lift, weight, thrust, and drag. Lift is produced by the helicopter's rotors and counteracts the weight of the truck. Thrust is generated by the helicopter's engine and is used to overcome drag, which is the resistance of the air.

3. How does the angle of the helicopter's rotors affect the lifting force?

The angle of the helicopter's rotors, also known as the blade pitch, can affect the lifting force by changing the angle at which the air flows over the rotor blades. A higher blade pitch can increase the lift force, while a lower blade pitch can decrease it.

4. What factors can affect the maximum weight a helicopter can lift?

The maximum weight a helicopter can lift is affected by several factors including the power and size of the engine, the design and weight of the helicopter, and the density of the air. Temperature, altitude, and wind conditions can also impact the maximum lifting capacity.

5. How does the shape and weight distribution of the truck affect the helicopter's lifting ability?

The shape and weight distribution of the truck can affect the helicopter's lifting ability by changing the center of gravity of the load. A heavier load towards the back of the truck can cause the helicopter to tilt backwards, making it more difficult to lift. The shape of the truck can also impact the amount of drag it creates, which can impact the amount of thrust needed from the helicopter to lift it.