Physics Fundamentals : CRO and Potential Divider

In summary: I'm not sure about a modern CRO, but I think it would be the same as the storage scope, but I could be wrong.Overall well done.
learn2physics

Homework Statement

The figure shows 2 terminals M and N of a potential divider connected to a 6V battery. The circuit is connected to a Cathode-ray Oscillator.

http://i.imgur.com/zeV2e3j.jpg
The y-gain is 2V per division and timebase setting is 1.0ms per division.

(a) Describe in details what happens as the terminal is moved at a uniform speed from N to M.
(b) Draw the final reading of the final trace that is shown the CRO as N is moving towards M.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) As terminal N is moving towards M, there will be an increased in e.m.f, the results in a higher reading on the tracd

(b) http://i.imgur.com/bldLWjF.jpg
This is my attempt.

Please correct me if I make any mistakes. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the question exactly as posed? Its seems slightly badly worded to me.

Is there any mention of the time base setting on the oscilloscope? You have assumed that it's fast and on continuous sweep - you are probably right - but what if the horizontal time base is say 5 seconds per division and you move the slider?

CWatters said:
Is that the question exactly as posed? Its seems slightly badly worded to me.

Is there any mention of the time base setting on the oscilloscope? You have assumed that it's fast and on continuous sweep - you are probably right - but what if the horizontal time base is say 5 seconds per division and you move the slider?

Hi. Yes. It is exactly as worded.

I am sorry I forgot to typed the y-gain and time base into the question. I edited it on the front post now.

The y-gain is 2V per division, time base setting is 1.0ms per division.

I want to know if my understanding is correct. If I move the potential divider from point N to point M uniformly, there will be an increased e.m.f. An increased e.m.f will show a higher (positive) horizontal reading on the CRO. This is because it is connected to a direct current and not an alternating current.

Is my understanding correct? I was thinking about your question. What if the timebase setting is 5seconds per division. Is it going to affect the trace on the CRO? If I am not wrong, the timebase will not affected by the increase or decreased in e.m.f right? No matter what it wil always be in a horizontal line as it is connected to a direct current. (6V battery)

Thank you!

If the timebase was 5 seconds per division and there were 10 divisions across the width of the screen, how long would it take the trace to cross the screen once? What wpuld you see if you moved the potentiometer terminal quickly while the timebase was crossing the screen slowly?

AlephZero said:
If the timebase was 5 seconds per division and there were 10 divisions across the width of the screen, how long would it take the trace to cross the screen once? What wpuld you see if you moved the potentiometer terminal quickly while the timebase was crossing the screen slowly?

OH!

Am I right to say this:
If the timebase setting was 5 seconds per division and the terminal is moved quickly, I will see a trace that was lower initially and then a gradual slope upwards (positive gradient) then a constant horizontal line at its new higher trace reading.

Am I understanding it correctly?
Thank you!

The y-gain is 2V per division, time base setting is 1.0ms per division.

So the answer you gave in the original post is correct. However it does say describe in detail so you might like to mention that you will see a horizontal line on the scope that also moves upwards at a constant velocity until it reaches 6V.

If the timebase setting was 5 seconds per division and the terminal is moved quickly, I will see a trace that was lower initially and then a gradual slope upwards (positive gradient) then a constant horizontal line at its new higher trace reading.

What you see depends on the type of scope. On a cheap basic scope you would see a point/dot that moves in a straight line at an angle to the horizontal until it reaches 6V, then it moves horizontally. If it's a storage scope then yes you would see a trace/line that follows the same path.

1. What is a CRO and how does it work?

A CRO (Cathode Ray Oscilloscope) is a scientific instrument that is used to measure and display electrical signals. It works by using an electron beam to create a visual representation of the electrical signal on a screen. The horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents voltage.

2. What is a potential divider and how is it used?

A potential divider is a circuit that divides a voltage into smaller parts. It is typically used to produce a specific voltage output by adjusting the resistance of the circuit. This is useful in many applications such as powering sensors and controlling the brightness of an LED.

3. What is the equation for calculating the output voltage in a potential divider?

The output voltage in a potential divider can be calculated using the formula Vout = Vin x (R2 / R1 + R2), where Vin is the input voltage, R1 is the resistance of the first resistor, and R2 is the resistance of the second resistor.

4. How does changing the resistance in a potential divider affect the output voltage?

Changing the resistance in a potential divider will affect the output voltage. As the resistance of the second resistor increases, the output voltage decreases. Similarly, as the resistance of the first resistor increases, the output voltage increases. The output voltage can also be adjusted by changing the ratio of the resistances.

5. What is the significance of potential divider in circuit design?

Potential dividers are commonly used in circuit design to create specific voltage levels for different components. They also act as voltage regulators, ensuring that the output voltage remains stable even if there are fluctuations in the input voltage. This makes them essential in many electronic devices and systems.