Calculating the time to reach a potential difference

In summary: You seem to have substituted the distance between the spheres, 3m, for r. r should be the radius of one sphere.Secondly, this only gives you the potential at the surface one one sphere due to its own charge. The potential difference depends on both potentials.Thirdly, the potential at one sphere is affected by the field of the other sphere.Fourthly, the charge distribution at one sphere will be affected by the field from the other sphere. The charge distributions on each will not be uniform. However, my understanding is that taking that into account would make it rather an advanced problem. If you pretend that each charge distribution is uniform then the potential at one sphere due its own charge is ok
ShashVerma

Homework Statement

Q: Two conducting balls of radius 0.1 m are situated 3m apart in free space. Electrons are transferred from one ball to another at a rate of 10^13 per second. How long does it take for a p.d of 100 kv to develop?

Homework Equations

8757428f7aeb787795811caa40897baa.png

where ε0 is the electric constant (permittivity of vacuum)
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the charge needed for the particular voltage using the potential equation. Then I found C/s by multiplying the number of electrons by charge per electron. Finally I divided the charge needed by the charge per second to get the time to reach the charge. This answer does not match the book.

I think I need to take the increase in potential of one ball and the fall in potential of the other in account. But I have no idea how to do that?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ShashVerma said:

Homework Statement

Q: Two conducting balls of radius 0.1 m are situated 3m apart in free space. Electrons are transferred from one ball to another at a rate of 10^13 per second. How long does it take for a p.d of 100 kv to develop?

Homework Equations

8757428f7aeb787795811caa40897baa.png

where ε0 is the electric constant (permittivity of vacuum)
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the charge needed for the particular voltage using the potential equation. Then I found C/s by multiplying the number of electrons by charge per electron. Finally I divided the charge needed by the charge per second to get the time to reach the charge. This answer does not match the book.

I think I need to take the increase in potential of one ball and the fall in potential of the other in account. But I have no idea how to do that?

Any help would be appreciated!
Welcome to the PF.

The problem implies that the electrons are transferred at a constant rate, so whatever energy is needed to overcome the growing electrastatic repulsion is apparently available, so I don't think you have to consider that.

Can you post your detailed calculations step-by-step, including units? That will help us to look for any mistakes or oversights. Thanks. :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

The problem implies that the electrons are transferred at a constant rate, so whatever energy is needed to overcome the growing electrastatic repulsion is apparently available, so I don't think you have to consider that.

Can you post your detailed calculations step-by-step, including units? That will help us to look for any mistakes or oversights. Thanks. :smile:

10^13 * 1.602 * 10^-19 = 1.602 * 10^-6 C/s
100*10^3 V= Q/(4*pi*e0), Q = 3.34 * 10^-5 C
t = 3.34 * 10^-5/1.602 * 10^-6
= 20s

But the answer should be .36s

ShashVerma said:
100*10^3 V= Q/(4*pi*e0)
The units don't match here.
Always work with units, it helps to find most errors. You forgot one factor.

You also have to consider that this equation is the voltage relative to infinity, not relative to the other ball.

I think, as the OP surmised, the question is looking for the potential difference between the spheres, and as electrons are moved from one sphere they leave behind an equivalent net positive charge on the other.

That implies the two spheres will have equal and opposite potentials near their surfaces (assuming negligible induced charge interactions with the given separation between them).

mfb said:
The units don't match here.
Always work with units, it helps to find most errors. You forgot one factor.

You also have to consider that this equation is the voltage relative to infinity, not relative to the other ball.
Actually that was a typo.

It was supposed to be 100*10^3 V= Q/(4*pi*e0 * 3). That's what I had done, but I typed it wrong.

ShashVerma said:
Actually that was a typo.

It was supposed to be 100*10^3 V= Q/(4*pi*e0 * 3). That's what I had done, but I typed it wrong.
Several problems here.
You seem to have substituted the distance between the spheres, 3m, for r. r should be the radius of one sphere.
Secondly, this only gives you the potential at the surface one one sphere due to its own charge. The potential difference depends on both potentials.
Thirdly, the potential at one sphere is affected by the field of the other sphere.
Fourthly, the charge distribution at one sphere will be affected by the field from the other sphere. The charge distributions on each will not be uniform. However, my understanding is that taking that into account would make it rather an advanced problem. If you pretend that each charge distribution is uniform then the potential at one sphere due its own charge is ok, but if you try to take into account the potential there due to the other sphere it will no longer be a uniform potential. Maybe with a radius one thirtieth of the distance between them it is near enough uniform.

1. How do you calculate the time to reach a potential difference?

To calculate the time to reach a potential difference, you can use the formula t = V/I, where t is the time in seconds, V is the potential difference in volts, and I is the current in amperes.

2. What units should be used for potential difference and current in the formula?

Potential difference should be in volts (V) and current should be in amperes (A) in order to get the time in seconds as the result.

3. Is the formula for calculating time to reach a potential difference different for AC and DC circuits?

Yes, the formula for calculating time to reach a potential difference is different for AC and DC circuits. For DC circuits, the formula is t = V/I, as mentioned earlier. For AC circuits, the formula is t = 1/f, where t is the time in seconds and f is the frequency in hertz (Hz).

4. How does the resistance of a circuit affect the time to reach a potential difference?

The resistance of a circuit affects the time to reach a potential difference by slowing down the flow of current. Therefore, the higher the resistance, the longer it will take to reach a certain potential difference.

5. Can the time to reach a potential difference be calculated for non-linear circuits?

No, the time to reach a potential difference cannot be calculated for non-linear circuits as the relationship between potential difference and current is not directly proportional, making it impossible to use a simple formula to calculate the time.