1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Help Greatly Appreciated - Block sliding down ramp

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1
    Physics Help Greatly Appreciated -- Block sliding down ramp

A 7.7 kg block is on an incline with a coefficient of static friction of 0.50. The angle that the ramp makes with the horizontal is increased gradually, until the block begins to slide down the ramp. If you know that the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the plane is 0.34, find the time it will take the block to slide down the ramp a distance of 0.47 m starting from rest.

Ff=uFn

My solution:

arctan(.5)=angle of incline=26.6degrees
    a=2x/t^2 (rearranged kinematic equation)
    a=gsin(26.6)
    a=4.39 m/s^2
    4.39=2x/t^2
    x=.47m
    .94/4.39=t^2
    t=.46 s

(This solution was marked incorrect) Help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2013 #2
    It seems to me that you have calculated the time it would take if the coefficient of kinetic friction were zero.

4. Sep 11, 2013 #3
    Vic is correct. Letting the acceleration = gsin(theta) gives the acceleration in the absence of friction. If you look at the force balance in the down incline direction it should read:

Ffriction + Fgravity = ma (1)

<< some extra work deleted by Mentor >>

Solve that to find the acceleration and the re-evaluate your kinematics equation.

Chris.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2013
  5. Sep 11, 2013 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thanks for being willing and able to help with this question, Alexander. Just please remember that the OP student must do the bulk of the work. I think with the hints that he's been given now, he should be able to show us his work toward the correct solution.

6. Sep 11, 2013 #5
    Thanks for the help! I genuinely appreciate it :)
    I used
    Fg-Ff=ma
    mgsin(26.6)-umgcos26.6)=ma
    9.8(sin26.6)-.32cos(26.6)=a
    a=1.41
    t=.82s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted