Physics homework help projectile motion

In summary, the problem involves a biker riding on a flat stretch of land, then going up a 30 degree ramp and launching off to land on another flat surface 37.5 meters away. The acceleration needed to successfully land on the other surface is unknown due to missing information about the ramp's height or length. The only external forces acting on the biker are gravity and the initial force to accelerate. To solve the problem, the horizontal range formula can be used, but the velocity at the base of the ramp is needed, which is unknown. The velocity in the x-direction is v cos(θ) and in the y-direction is v sin(θ), where θ is the angle of the ramp with respect to the
scratch1
physics homework help please projectile motion

Homework Statement

a biker is iding on a flat stretch of lan 50 m long, without friction. he then goes up a flat ramp that its surface is 30 degrees from the ground (no friction) the biker then leaves the ramp and goes 37.5 m across to the other side, and lands on a flat surface that is level with the top of the ramp where the biker rode off of. what is the constant acceleration the biker needs to acclerate while riding through the 50 m flat stretch to successfully land on the other flat surface 37.5 away from the end of the ramp? (no acceleration at ramp)

Homework Equations

v final squared - v initial squared= 2ad (for beginning 50m)
displacement y= vt-4.9t squared
displacement x= vt

The Attempt at a Solution

v final squared - v initial squared= 2ad (for beginning 50m)
displacement y= vt-4.9t squared
displacement x= vt

i then said v leaving the ramp was v sin 30, so v= v sin 30 for the last two equations
but I am not sure when it leaves the ramp, should i call the speed v sin or v cos? or just v??

*this is my 1st time posting so srry if its confusing to read through this. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

wait did i post in the wrong place? o_O

What's the height or length of the ramp?

its not given

scratch1 said:
its not given

Without the height or length of the ramp I think that the best you could do is provide a symbolic solution (with ramp length or ramp height as a variable).

If the ramp height is unknown, then the amount of kinetic energy the biker will lose while climbing the ramp is unknown, and so the velocity he needs to attain on approach to the ramp is unknown.

By "no friction," I hope you're referring to air friction (otherwise known as air drag or air resistance). Otherwise, that biker isn't going anywhere!

i think the bike remains at a constant velocity when it goes up the ramp. and my bad, i meant the only external forces are gravity and the force to accelerate the car in the beggining

It's getting complicated. Acceleration on a frictionless surface, gravity that doesn't work on ramps, and now a car is involved!:devil:

Perhaps the problem is poorly posed in the original source? I suppose we could assume a very short ramp...

It's been a while since I've done these types of probs, but if we know the horizontal range of the 'projectile' (ie 37.5m), we could sub into;
R=[v initial squared*sin2*30]/g

where R is the horizontal range. Then solve for the inital velocity, and go from there...

PhysDrew said:
It's been a while since I've done these types of probs, but if we know the horizontal range of the 'projectile' (ie 37.5m), we could sub into;
R=[v initial squared*sin2*30]/g

where R is the horizontal range. Then solve for the inital velocity, and go from there...

But there's nowhere to go from there. You need to know the velocity at the base of the ramp, but you don't know how much velocity will be lost climbing the ramp.

gneill said:
But there's nowhere to go from there. You need to know the velocity at the base of the ramp, but you don't know how much velocity will be lost climbing the ramp.

Yeah I just assumed constant velocity up the ramp...

im sorry i got this problem ona test a week ago, but i wasn't sure how to do it, so i tried to rewrite it to the best of my memory. but velocity is assumed to be constant going up the ramp. I am just no sure what would you consider the bikes speed to be when you leave the ramp, if you call the speed going to the ramp v. would you call that speed whe n you leave the ramp v cos, v sin, or just v?

scratch1 said:
im sorry i got this problem ona test a week ago, but i wasn't sure how to do it, so i tried to rewrite it to the best of my memory. but velocity is assumed to be constant going up the ramp. I am just no sure what would you consider the bikes speed to be when you leave the ramp, if you call the speed going to the ramp v. would you call that speed whe n you leave the ramp v cos, v sin, or just v?

Velocity in the x-direction would be v cos(θ). Velocity in the y-direction would be v sin(θ). θ is the angle of the ramp with respect to the horizontal. The speed of the bike remains v.

ok thanks i get it now

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is thrown or projected into the air and then follows a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What are the key components of projectile motion?

The key components of projectile motion are the initial velocity, angle of projection, and acceleration due to gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula: R = (v^2/g) * sin(2θ), where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of projection.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement in projectile motion?

Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by a projectile, while displacement is the straight-line distance between the initial and final positions of the projectile.

5. How do air resistance and other external factors affect projectile motion?

Air resistance and other external factors can affect projectile motion by altering the speed and direction of the projectile. These factors can also cause a decrease in the overall range of the projectile.