Physics Homework: Moments and Tension

In summary, the flagpole experiences two opposing forces: a weight (F1) and a tension (T) in a cable. The tension is greater, so the flagpole hangs at a lower angle.
Europa91

Homework Statement

A flagpole of mass 25kg and 2.5m in length is held in a horizontal position by a cable shown in the diagram.
The centre of gravity of the flagpole is at a distance of 1.5m from the fixed end. Determine:
a the tension T in the cable;
b the vertical component of the force at the fixed end of the pole.
1zn6ik7.jpg

Homework Equations

moment = Fx
x = d sinθ
ac/w moment = c/w moment
Fy = F sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted part a and think I have got the answer, however I would be grateful for somebody to verify this for me.

If we call the distance between the fixed end of the flagpole to its centre of gravity x1 and its weight F1 then moment1 = F1x1 = 25 x 9.81 x 1.5 = 367.875 Nm.

If we then call the length of the flagpole d and the tension T F2, and we know that x2 = d sinθ, then moment2 = F2 x 2.5 sin30 = F2 x 1.25 and therefore F2 = moment2 / 1.25.

The principle of moments states that when an object is in equilibrium , the anticlockwise moments equal the clockwise moments and therefore moment1 = moment2.

Therefore the tension T = 367.875 / 1.25 = 294.3 N.

Where I am really stumped is part b. I know how to work out the vertical component of a force - Fy = F sinθ - that's pretty easy. However when the question asks for the force at the fixed end of the pole I'm not quite sure what that is and thus I can't work out the vertical component.

If anybody could enlighten me of what that force is I'd be very pleased. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution to part a looks good. What you did was select your pivot at the wall, then set the clockwise torques (what you call "F1x1") equal to the counterclockwise torques ( which I like to call "T sin theta")... to "balance the torques.

By selecting your pivot at the wall, you made sure that any moments created by forces from the wall are zero because the lever arm is zero. There are actually forces from the wall on the beam -- a normal force Fx (that keeps the beam from breaking through the wall and a friction force Fy that keeps it from sliding down.

For part b, what you look to be doing is now looking at balancing the ALL the forces.
You started to do this with the vertical components, but I think you made an error. List ALL the forces that are vertical (include the component of the tension, the weight and an unknown Fy at the wall pivot point). Note: the friction keeps the beam from sliding down based on its weight, but the tension helps this friction force.
Then, do the same for the horizontal part. The normal force will work against the tension pulling the beam toward the wall.

Thank you - I understand it now.

1. What are moments in physics?

Moments are physical quantities that measure the tendency of a force to rotate an object around a specific point or axis. They are calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point/axis to the line of action of the force.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of a moment?

The magnitude of a moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point/axis to the line of action of the force. This can be expressed as M = F x d, where M is the moment, F is the force, and d is the perpendicular distance.

3. What is tension in physics?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, or other similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting on either end. It is a type of force that acts in a direction that is parallel to the string or rope.

4. How is tension related to moments?

Tension can cause moments when it is acting on an object that is not at rest. This is because the tension force can cause an object to rotate around a specific point or axis, creating a moment. The magnitude of the moment caused by tension can be calculated using the formula M = T x d, where M is the moment, T is the tension force, and d is the perpendicular distance from the point/axis to the line of action of the tension force.

5. How can I use moments and tension to solve physics problems?

To solve physics problems involving moments and tension, you will need to use the principles of equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on an object must be equal to zero and the sum of all moments about a point/axis must also be equal to zero. You can use these principles along with the formulas for calculating moments and tension to set up and solve equations to find the unknown values in the problem.