1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics homework vectors, magnitude and direction

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three forces are applied to an object. Force F1 has a magnitude of 23.0 newtons (23.0 N) and is directed 30.0° to the left of the +y axis. Force F2 has a magnitude of 14.0 N and points along the +x axis. What must be the magnitude and direction (specified by the angle θ in the drawing) of the third force F3 such that the vector sum of the three forces is 0 N?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i have no idea where to even start..please help me!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to resolve vectors into components? If, "yes", do it and make sure that all x-components together add to zero and all the y-components together add to zero. If "no", you should learn that first before attempting this problem.

4. Sep 3, 2009 #3
    ok so for x it was +14 and for y it was -23-x.so i did the square root of (-23-x)^2 +14^2
    resulting in -27 N. but that is the wrong answer

5. Sep 3, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I cannot understand what "it" is that was +14 for x or -23-x for y. Let me see two separate equations, one below the other. Equation 1 should say that the sum of all the x-components is zero and Equation 2 should say that the sum of all the y-components is zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook