Physics lab colliding two cars into each other

In summary, the conversation revolves around a recent lab in which two cars were collided multiple times with different attachments. The attachments included velcro, a spring, and plain bumpers, and the conversation discusses the differences in energy conservation and the types of collisions represented by each attachment. The main question is about the graphs that were recorded during the lab, specifically the position-vs-time or velocity-vs-time graphs. The suggestion is made to use equations to calculate the final velocities and create the desired graphs.
cindy!
hello,

The other day in class i completed a lab colliding two cars into each other 3 times. The first time velcro was attached to the cars so they stuck together after the collision, the second time a spring was attached to one of the cars and the third time it was just the plain bumpers.

I undertstand that the spring bumper is an elastic collision because energy is conserved. And that the velcro is a completely inelastic collision because the kinetic energy is shared and the objects stick together after the collisions. And finally, that the hard bumper is an inelastic collision because kinetic energy is not conserved.

Well, my question is does anyone know what these graphs would look like? We found the graphs while the lab was done but i do not have the program on my home computer. I already tried google but i cannot seem to find them. I am just looking for the basic graph outline..

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can start with the equations for a collision [in one dimension] and work out the final velocities in terms of the initial velocities. Those equations will provide you with the plots you seek.

Graphs of what? Graphs can often compare two, three, or even more different values or measurements.

They are probably graphs of the position-vs-time or velocity-vs-time of one or both of the carts, as recorded by a "Sonic Ranger".

1. How does the momentum of the cars affect the outcome of the collision?

The momentum of a car is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. In a collision, the total momentum of the two cars before and after the collision must be equal. This means that a heavier or faster moving car will have a greater momentum and will therefore exert more force on the other car, resulting in a more significant outcome of the collision.

2. What role does energy play in a collision between two cars?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In a collision between two cars, kinetic energy is transferred from one car to the other. The total kinetic energy before and after the collision remains the same, but it may be distributed differently between the two cars.

3. How do the angles of impact affect the outcome of a collision?

The angle of impact between two cars can greatly impact the outcome of a collision. When two cars collide head-on, the force is distributed evenly between the two cars. However, if one car hits the other at an angle, the force is concentrated on one side, potentially causing more damage to that side of the car.

4. How can we calculate the force of a collision between two cars?

The force of a collision can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass multiplied by acceleration. By measuring the change in velocity and mass of the cars during a collision, we can calculate the force exerted on each car.

5. How do different types of materials and structures of cars affect the outcome of a collision?

The materials and structures of cars can greatly impact the outcome of a collision. For example, a car with a sturdy steel frame may sustain less damage in a collision compared to a car with a lighter aluminum frame. Additionally, the crumple zones and safety features in modern cars are designed to absorb and distribute the force of a collision, potentially reducing the impact on the passengers inside.