Physics Lab - Measurement of Absolute Zero?

In summary, The conversation is about predicting the pressure of a light bulb at different temperatures using the ideal gas law. The predicted pressures at 0C and 100C were found to be 18.6 psi and 25.5 psi, respectively. The use of absolute zero in the lab manual was deemed unnecessary and irrelevant to the problem at hand. It was suggested to include work in future calculations for better understanding and assistance.
minidee
This problem seems straightforward and easy enough, but I still want to check my answers.

Suppose the pressure of the bulb (light bulb I'm guessing used in experiment) is 20 psi (absolute) at 20C. What would you predict the pressure to be at 0C? What would you predict would be at 100C?

I used the ideal gas law equation P = nRT/V and got:
0C Pressure = 18.6 psi
100C Pressure = 25.5 psi

How'd I do? Did I get it right? Big Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I'm missing something, where does "absolute zero" come in?

Those answers are correct.

In the future it would be good to show how you calculate your answers ... if they're wrong, we wouldn't be able to help unless we can see your work. :smile:

p.s. whybother makes a good point, the thread title "Measurement of Absolute Zero?" seems unrelated to the question that was asked.

That's the headline in the lab manual! I'm not sure why the absolute matters either! Big Thanks for helping! next time i'll include work.

minidee said:
That's the headline in the lab manual! I'm not sure why the absolute matters either! Big Thanks for helping! next time i'll include work.

That's the headline in the lab manual? That's horrifying... 0K has nothing to do with this problem... at all...

1. What is absolute zero and why is it important to measure it?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature that can be reached, at which point all molecular motion stops. It is important to measure it because it serves as a fundamental reference point for temperature scales and provides insight into the behavior of matter at extreme temperatures.

2. How is absolute zero measured in a physics lab?

The most common method of measuring absolute zero in a physics lab is by using the gas law of Charles and Gay-Lussac. This involves observing the relationship between the volume and pressure of a gas at different temperatures and extrapolating the data to determine the temperature at which the gas would have zero volume and pressure.

3. What are some challenges or limitations in measuring absolute zero?

One challenge in measuring absolute zero is that it cannot be reached in a laboratory setting, as it is only a theoretical concept. Therefore, scientists must use indirect methods to estimate its value. Additionally, there may be experimental errors and uncertainties that can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

4. How has the measurement of absolute zero changed over time?

The first attempts to measure absolute zero were made in the 18th and 19th centuries, but it was not until the 20th century that more accurate and reliable methods were developed. With advancements in technology and understanding of thermodynamics, the measurement of absolute zero has become more precise and closer to its theoretical value.

5. What are some practical applications of knowing the value of absolute zero?

Knowing the value of absolute zero has numerous practical applications, such as in the development of cryogenic technologies, refrigeration systems, and the study of superconductivity. It also helps in understanding the behavior of materials at extreme temperatures and can aid in the calibration of thermometers and other temperature measuring devices.