1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics major with a minor in mechanical engineering

1. Jul 12, 2013 #1
    Hi, so I'm a junior pursuing a B.S in physics but I'm thinking that might not be enough to make me competitive. So I am thinking about minoring in mechanical engineering to make me more competitive. The thing is I'm not sure if it will even matter in the job market. I want to wait a bit to get a masters degree, so I'm thinking a minor in mechanical engineering might help. The thing is some of the classes seem rather redundant, so a second choice would be electrical engineering. It would be harder but it would compliment my naval experience as a nuclear electronics technician quite nicely. If it matters I live in Richmond, Va and I'd like to either work for one of the weapons manufactures or even NAVSEA at naval shipyard in Norfolk. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2013 #2
    A minor in mechanical engineering will probably not be sufficient to make you competitive with mechanical engineers. I do not know the details of your program, but a typical minor only covers the lower-level coursework in a given field. That is not what makes you useful to an employer.

Now, that being said, does your university physics department have any relationships with the defense companies? If they do, that would be a way for you to find out what kind of coursework they are looking for and also a way to get your network started.

4. Jul 12, 2013 #3
    Try to talk to someone at VEPCO, sorry, Dominion, about jobs at North Anna. You might be surprised where your Navy ELT can go.

5. Jul 12, 2013 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What kind of job are you looking for? That makes a difference - if you're looking for mechanical engineering jobs, you'll be much better off with an engineering degree than a minor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook