Which Double Major Combination is Ideal: Physics and Chemistry or Pure Math?

• Thread starter osnarf
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is asking about the best fields for a double major in Physics and either Chemistry or Pure track math. They are specifically interested in how well these majors would complement each other and what career paths they would be suitable for. The response states that the combination of majors would depend on the individual's desired career goals, such as materials science or theoretical physics. It is also mentioned that a dual major may not significantly impact graduate school applications. The speaker shares their personal experience with a similar major combination and mentions AMO physics as an abbreviation for Atomic, Molecular and Optical physics.
osnarf
I was wondering what fields each double major would be best suited for? A degree in Physics and a degree in either Chemistry or Pure track math. Specifically chemistry and physics. I would like to know how well these would go together (information-wise not credit-wise).

Physics news on Phys.org
What matters most is what you want to DO with your physics combo degree as to how the information will complement your physics degree. If you want to do materials science, condensed matter or AMO physics, you'll want more coursework in chemistry. If you want to do theoretical physics of some form, you'll probably want more math coursework.

If you're looking to impress graduate committees with a dual major, it's not, however, something that typically increases the standing of your application much, certainly not much more than anymore than a strong minor or coursework in a related field (and I typically would say this would bump your application only a 1/2 point or so out of 10 in a reader's score, which in the case of our school, was averaged in with scores about GRE's, GPA's, etc.).

Note: I originally planned to dual-major in chem/physics, but ran into trouble with conflicting lab-times... so I ended up doing physics with two very strong minors in chemistry and math... (typically skipping some of the intermediate courses, like Intermediate Analysis, in favor of just moving onto the harder courses). I think that combo worked well for me.

Thanks, i just wanted to know what each would be better suited for. What exactly is AMO physics?

It is an abbreviation for Atomic, Molecular and Optical physics.

Related to Which Double Major Combination is Ideal: Physics and Chemistry or Pure Math?

1. What is the difference between physics and mathematics?

Physics is a natural science that studies the laws and principles governing the behavior of matter and energy. It involves experiments, observations, and mathematical models to understand the physical world. Mathematics, on the other hand, is a branch of science that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes using logical reasoning and abstract concepts. While physics focuses on understanding the physical world, mathematics focuses on abstract concepts and their relationships.

2. How is math used in physics?

Mathematics is used in physics as a tool for describing and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It provides a language and framework for formulating theories and laws of physics, and for solving complex problems and equations. Many physical phenomena can be described and understood using mathematical equations, making mathematics an essential tool for the study of physics.

3. What is the role of physics in chemistry?

Physics and chemistry are closely related sciences, with physics providing the fundamental principles and laws that govern chemical systems. Physics plays a crucial role in understanding the structure of atoms and molecules, as well as the behavior of matter and energy in chemical reactions. It also provides the tools and techniques for studying and analyzing chemical systems, such as spectroscopy and thermodynamics.

4. How do physics and chemistry overlap?

Physics and chemistry overlap in many areas, particularly in the study of matter and energy. Both disciplines use similar mathematical and scientific methods to investigate the properties and behavior of atoms, molecules, and other particles. They also share common subfields, such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism, which are essential for understanding both physical and chemical phenomena.

5. What are some practical applications of physics and chemistry?

Physics and chemistry have numerous practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include the development of new materials and technologies, such as semiconductors and nanotechnology, which have revolutionized industries such as electronics and medicine. Other applications include renewable energy sources, such as solar panels and fuel cells, and advancements in transportation, communication, and space exploration. Additionally, physics and chemistry play a crucial role in understanding and addressing global issues, such as climate change and pollution.