Physics of legwrestling and Mas wrestling

• I
  • Thread starter mortyc137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses the physics and strategy involved in two strength sports, namely leg wrestling and Mas wrestling. Factors such as weight distribution, starting position, and muscle groups involved are considered in determining the success of a participant. It is debated which sport would be more realistic for a dual person strength challenge and the importance of both strength and weight in Mas wrestling is highlighted. An example of a female defeating a male in leg wrestling is mentioned, with the suggestion that a tactical error may have been a factor.
mortyc137
I've seen these two strength sports and I was wondering on the actual physics involved between the two to determine if they had any merit in a dual person strength challenge.

1. How much role does weight, and or distribution of weight play a role in success over strength. For example, the lighter person being physically stronger. My understanding is that every kilo of extra weight will say require x % extra strength by the opponent.
2. In terms of leg wrestling, how much would position affect the result of the game, for example one person had the leg at a lower starting position.
3. How much does strength actually influence the result, and what muscle groups would be involved, and what exercises would you expect someone to be strong at to be strong at leg wrestling.
4. Would it be possible for a very strong person to defeat a weak big person. My understanding is that with leg wrestling, you would need to move your opponents lower and mid body weight to win, therefore mismatches SHOULD be an advantage to the larger person. Unless it isn't as influential as I believe.

Here is an example of legwrestling, where the female easily beats the guy. I looked at 20-30 videos, and in nearly every case, the bigger person won.

Here is Mas Wrestling

In Mas wrestling, how much is related to strength, and how much weight?

I understand that its somewhat hard to gauge the relationship between extra weight and extra strength, much alike punching power with faster but smaller athletes vs bigger but slower athletes. There would theoretically be an optimal point however.

If you had to assess the two, which one would be the most realistic in terms of strength for a dual person strength challenge.

Physics news on Phys.org
mortyc137 said:
Here is an example of legwrestling, where the female easily beats the guy. I looked at 20-30 videos, and in nearly every case, the bigger person won.

Note that he initially pushes her down and himself up, which makes it easy for her to rotate him. Seems like a tactical error.

mortyc137 said:
In Mas wrestling, how much is related to strength, and how much weight?
You need strength in the legs to keep them extended, so your weight has a longer lever arm around the pivot (feet) to keep you down. So both is equally important. And obviously strong hands, to hold on to the stick.

What is the physics behind legwrestling and Mas wrestling?

The physics behind legwrestling and Mas wrestling involves the principles of force, torque, and friction. In legwrestling, the goal is to use force to push your opponent's leg to the ground, while in Mas wrestling, the goal is to pull the stick out of your opponent's hands. The application of these forces creates torque, which is the rotational force that determines the winner. Additionally, friction plays a role in these sports as it affects the grip and stability of the participants.

How does body mechanics affect performance in legwrestling and Mas wrestling?

Body mechanics, or the efficient use of one's body to generate force, is crucial in legwrestling and Mas wrestling. Proper body positioning, balance, and leverage can greatly enhance performance and give an advantage over an opponent. For example, a lower center of gravity and a strong core can provide a stronger base and more stability, allowing for more force to be generated. Good body mechanics also help to prevent injuries and increase overall efficiency in these sports.

What role does muscle strength and power play in legwrestling and Mas wrestling?

Muscle strength and power are essential in legwrestling and Mas wrestling as they determine the amount of force that can be applied. Stronger and more powerful muscles can generate greater force, making it easier to overpower an opponent. Additionally, explosive power is crucial in these sports as it allows for quick movements and sudden bursts of force, which can catch an opponent off guard and lead to victory.

How does the surface affect the physics of legwrestling and Mas wrestling?

The surface on which legwrestling and Mas wrestling take place can greatly affect the physics of these sports. A surface with more friction, such as a rubber mat, can provide a better grip and stability for the participants, making it easier to generate force. On the other hand, a surface with less friction, such as a hardwood floor, can make it more challenging to maintain balance and generate force, adding an extra level of difficulty to the sports.

What are some common strategies used in legwrestling and Mas wrestling based on physics?

Some common strategies used in legwrestling and Mas wrestling based on physics include using leverage to gain an advantage, controlling the center of gravity, and utilizing explosive power. For example, in legwrestling, a participant may use their body weight to create torque and push their opponent's leg down. In Mas wrestling, a participant may try to control the center of gravity by staying low and keeping their feet firmly planted on the ground. Additionally, explosive power can be used to quickly overpower an opponent and gain the upper hand.