Physics of sound applied to instruments

In summary, the generator initiates a vibration, the resonator vibrates at the resonant frequency, and the radiator projects the vibrations into surrounding air. The resonators for the trumpet, clarinet, and piano are the air inside the instrument, while the generators and radiators differ between the instruments. It would be helpful to observe a trumpet being played to understand the sound generation process, and to look inside a piano to see its unique design.
chem_is_lovex

Homework Statement

what would the generator, resonator and radiator be for a trumpet, clarinet and piano?

Homework Equations

---

The Attempt at a Solution

A generator initiates a vibration, a resonator vibrates at the resonant frequency, and a radiator projects the vibrations into surrounding air.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, do you have any ideas for what the answers might be?

Stonebridge said:
So, do you have any ideas for what the answers might be?

If I did, why would I bother asking? I found those definitions in my textbook, but I don't really understand how they apply to certain instruments.

How about taking a look at one of them for a start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarinet#Construction
the basic design should give you a reasonable idea.
Check out what the reed does, what the main tube does, and what the bell at the end does.
Use wiki for the other two instruments or any other internet source.
Do you know anyone who plays any of these?

Stonebridge said:
How about taking a look at one of them for a start
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarinet#Construction
the basic design should give you a reasonable idea.
Check out what the reed does, what the main tube does, and what the bell at the end does.
Use wiki for the other two instruments or any other internet source.
Do you know anyone who plays any of these?

thank you. I shall look at that. sorry, I don't play any instruments and am not very musical/ good at physics. ummm... my friend plays the trumpet, so I'll ask her about that.

That's a good idea to ask your friend about the trumpet. Actually observing one being played will show you a lot more than I can describe here.
What you should find is that the resonator and radiator for the trumpet and clarinet are very similar. The sound generators are different. Ask your friend how she generates the sound. (There's no reed to help!)
As far as the piano goes, this is very different. Inside the piano are a lot of metal strings that are struck by hammers. The whole thing is enclosed in a large wooden box! I'm sure your school has a piano somewhere that you could have a look at; and look inside.
If you're still not sure about the piano, come back here and ask again.

thank you so much :) you really have helped me!

hi, stonebridge. sorry to bother you, but I was wondering whether the resonator for a trumpet is the air inside? or the tubes?

thanks

chem_is_lovex said:
hi, stonebridge. sorry to bother you, but I was wondering whether the resonator for a trumpet is the air inside? or the tubes?

thanks

It's the actual air inside that resonates/vibrates. This applies to all wind instruments.

ok. thanks :)

1. How does the physics of sound apply to different instruments?

The physics of sound is the study of how sound waves travel through different mediums. In the case of musical instruments, sound waves are created by vibrations, which are then amplified and modified by the instrument's unique shape and materials. This results in the production of different pitches and tones.

2. What is the relationship between frequency and pitch in musical instruments?

Frequency is the number of sound waves produced in a given amount of time, measured in Hertz (Hz). Pitch, on the other hand, is how high or low a sound is perceived by the human ear. In musical instruments, the higher the frequency, the higher the pitch of the sound produced. This is why longer instruments, such as a cello, produce lower pitches while shorter instruments, like a flute, produce higher pitches.

3. How do musical instruments produce different volumes of sound?

The volume of sound produced by an instrument is determined by the amplitude, or height, of the sound wave. The larger the amplitude, the louder the sound. In most instruments, the player can control the amplitude by adjusting the force or speed of their movements, thus producing a louder or softer sound.

4. Can different materials affect the sound produced by an instrument?

Yes, the materials used to construct an instrument can greatly impact the sound it produces. For example, a guitar made of different types of wood may have a warmer or brighter tone. The density and thickness of the materials can also affect the vibrations and resonance of the instrument, resulting in a unique sound.

5. How does the shape of an instrument impact the sound it produces?

The shape of an instrument plays a significant role in the production of sound. Instruments with hollow bodies, such as a violin or guitar, allow for sound waves to bounce and resonate within the chamber, amplifying and enriching the sound. The size and shape of the instrument also affect the frequencies and harmonics produced, resulting in a distinct sound for each instrument.