1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics problem with masses and pulley and a ramp

1. Jan 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2 masses m1=50g and m2=5g are connected as shown (sori walang pci) m1 is free to move along a horizontal frictionless table. Neglecting the mass of the cord connecting the two masses and assuming a frictionless pulley. Determine the accelereation of the system of blocks and tension in the cord

2. Relevant equations

F=ma
    W=mg

3. The attempt at a solution

Force of the tension
    Acceleration

I really couldn't get how to get the tension when its coming from a pulley
    please help :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2012 #2
    Re: physics

The tension is just the reaction over the rope due to the force exerted by the weight of the masses. The tension over the rope is equal to the force exerted by the weights over the cord. You just need to make a diagram of free body, and analyze which components of the weights are acting over the rope in each case, and then make the sum.

You didn't put a picture, so I'll draw one as I think the problem is, I'm not sure, but I think this is it.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=43339&stc=1&d=1328021623.png

The cord and the pulley only acts to redirect and transmit the forces.

Can you go on from here?

Attached Files:

4. Jan 31, 2012 #3
    Re: physics

thank you for that :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook