Physics Project help What relationships should there be?

In summary, the person is conducting a senior physics experiment involving stopping a computer fan with an electromagnet and measuring the time it takes to stop at different resistances. They also need to calculate angular and linear momentum and torque. They are seeking help and advice on understanding the relationship between the fan's stopping time and resistance, as well as how to create a mathematical model to calculate the other variables. The person is struggling with understanding the theory and is asking for assistance in starting their mathematical model.
peglegmeg152
I am currently doing a senior physics experiment where we are stopping a computer fan (with steel glued on to the blades) with an electromagnet, and measuring the time it takes to stop at varied resistances (using a rheostat).

I also need to calculate the angular and linear momentum and torque (and possibly other things). I am confused about what relationship should form between the time the fan takes to stop and the resistance - as well as how to go about collecting enough data to calculate the other things (momentum etc.)

Any help/advice/suggestions would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think linear momentum is going to be significant here? Doesn't everything move in a circle?

You need to think about the mechanics of your experiment, make a mathematical model of it, and write the resulting equations. Sounds like you have not done this yet. Give it a shot and see what you come up with before asking for too much help.

OldEngr63 said:
Why do you think linear momentum is going to be significant here? Doesn't everything move in a circle?

You need to think about the mechanics of your experiment, make a mathematical model of it, and write the resulting equations. Sounds like you have not done this yet. Give it a shot and see what you come up with before asking for too much help.

I'm not sure about linear momentum - my teacher told me to include it. Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand what you mean by a mathematical model. Sorry, I must seem very thick - but we haven't been taught much of the theory and the info on the internet is quite confusing for the beginner! Could you start me off?

Any of your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

A mathematical model is simply a system of equations that describe what is happening in your system. They may, or may not be solvable, but they are still your best effort to descibe the system operation.

peglegmeg152 said:
I must seem very thick

No, not at all. Physics is a hard subject to grasp and we are here to help.
Start off with the mathematical model, and we'll see what you come up with.

1. What is the purpose of a physics project?

The purpose of a physics project is to demonstrate understanding of fundamental physics concepts and principles through hands-on experimentation and analysis. It also allows students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. What relationships should be explored in a physics project?

The relationships that should be explored in a physics project depend on the specific topic or theme chosen. Some common relationships in physics projects include cause and effect, correlation, and mathematical relationships such as proportionality and inverse proportionality.

3. How should data be collected and analyzed for a physics project?

Data for a physics project should be collected through carefully planned and controlled experiments. This involves identifying variables, controlling for outside factors, and collecting multiple data points. The data should then be analyzed using appropriate mathematical and statistical methods to draw conclusions.

4. What are some tips for designing a successful physics project?

To design a successful physics project, it is important to choose a topic that is interesting and relevant to the student. Clear and measurable objectives should be set, and the experimental design should be carefully planned. It is also important to conduct thorough research and seek guidance from a teacher or mentor if needed.

5. How can physics projects be presented effectively?

Effective presentation of a physics project involves clearly communicating the purpose, methods, and results of the project. Visual aids such as graphs, charts, and diagrams can be used to enhance understanding. It is also important to practice and be prepared to answer questions from the audience.