Physics question-finding the magnitude of the electric field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
nba23
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Physics question--finding the magnitude of the electric field

Homework Statement


A charged insulating ball of mass 7.0g with a uniform charge of 1.5mC hangs from a light thread inclined at an angle of 8 degrees to the vertical. Calculate the magnitude of the electric field.

Homework Equations


q=mg/e

e= Fe/q

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried to use e=mg/q and i kept getting the wrong answer. I am not sure how or if i should use the given angle.Im confused because i don't know which formula i need to use for this question.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org


nba23 said:
I tried to use e=mg/q and i kept getting the wrong answer.
That would apply if the ball were suspended solely by the electric field, but its not--there's a string attached.
I am not sure how or if i should use the given angle.Im confused because i don't know which formula i need to use for this question.
Which way does the field point? (I presume horizontally.)

What forces act on the ball? (Draw a diagram for yourself.) What must the net force be? Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal force components separately.