Physics REUs 2016: Applying & Updates

In summary, the schools that the applicant applied to have received a very low number of applications.
Finesagan
How's everyone doing? Also, anyone hear back from the schools they applied to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rejected from DUKE/TUNL on Feb. 26th; they said they had 313 application for 12 slots, that's 3.8% acceptance.

Haven't heard back from:
SULI // Lehigh Univ. // CU Boulder // Nevis Labs // Vanderbilt // Baylor // Texas A&M // Northwestern // Purdue // SETI // SAO // William&Mary // UC Davis // Notre Dame // U Michigan //

SAO Rejection 3/1. No word on number of applicants, etc.

Does anyone else have information?

Rejected from UM CERN on Febuary 15 (they had 235 applications), and SAO 3/1.
no word from:
  • Northwestern
  • Haystack
  • Rutgers
  • UC Davis
  • Madison
  • Rochester
  • Maryland
  • UWRF
  • UCLA
  • BU
  • Maria Mitchel
  • AO Puerto Rico
  • NSO Arizona
  • Cornell

Last edited:
Rutgers sent out an email today saying that they sent out acceptance letters

I don't know if I should be excited or not that two people say they got rejections from SAO yesterday, because I haven't heard anything from them as of now. (Maybe I'm on a waitlist?)

I only applied to a short list of astronomy programs (I have research opportunities at my home institution so it's not the end of the world if I don't get in), and astro programs have an informal agreement to not start releasing results until March 1st, but for the record no word from any of:

SAO
SETI Insititute
STScI
MMO
UWyo

As an update, I was rejected from Duke but accepted to LSU's REU program. I haven't heard anything else.

I emailed CU Boulder, they responded saying they had sent out acceptance emails already, and their Summer 2016 program is full.

I am still waiting to hear back from all of mine as well:

-SAO
-MIT Haystack (I had an interview, but didn't hear back)
-UMinnesota
-UMichigan
-AMHN
-Cornell
-LIGO
-Northwestern

I just talked to the REU administrator at Indiana Bloomington. He said they are a little behind on the applications this year, but they will start reviewing them this week.

Likes yeshuamo
I know Northwestern has already sent out acceptances (I didn't apply, but like 4 people at my school got in, plus 1 freshman waitlisted). Also UMissouri sent out acceptances (a friend got in).
I'm still waiting to hear back from:
UMinnesota
University of South Florida
Georgia Tech (pretty sure I won't get in, I think I messed up on the personal statement)
LSU
UChicago
UNL

I think that's all I applied for...

Update: Rejection from STScI (they got over 500 applications this year!), still no word elsewhere.

I see one person had heard from Duke. I haven't heard back anything from them, yet, rejection or otherwise. Has anyone else received word from Duke on any level?

EDIT: Rejected from Duke. The e-mail filtered itself into my junk folder for some reason.

The only other institution I have heard from is USF, whom is scheduling phone interviews.

Last edited:
TAMU - Cyclotron Institute Rejection 3/4

I haven't heard back from SULI. I don't think I got in this year.

Has anyone received letters from :
Notre Dame
Penn State
Vanderbilt
Purdue
LeHigh?
I have not received a denial or acceptance on any of these. Is it bad if you don't hear anything for this long..

Last edited:
Updates on my 5 for any astro people who care:

SAO - Waitlisted. First round offers had until today to accept, I got a call this morning that I moved off the waitlist and they want a response within 24 hours. (If you haven't heard by end of week, assume "no".)
SETI Insititute - No word, no response to inquiry
STScI - Rejected, over 500 applications
MMO - No word, no response to inquiry
UWyo - Waitlisted, no estimate for how long that might stick around.

rangerazlm said:
Has anyone received letters from :
Notre Dame
Penn State
Vanderbilt
Purdue
LeHigh?
I have not received a denail or acceptance on any of these. Is it bad if you don't hear anything for this long..

LeHigh had their deadline like the first of march they should have first offers by the end of the month. I know Penn state made first round offers because I received one but had a better offer, last year I also got an offer from them by the 16th of march but I had personal reasons for not attending. You should not worry yet especially when the deadlines have just passed, some programs get a lot of applications and take a while to review them all. You can always email the program coordinator and ask for information they are usually very nice and helpful

szimmy said:
ut had a better offer, last year I also got an offer from them by the 16th of march but I had personal reasons for not attending. You should not worry yet especially
The wait is incredibly stressful. Especially as a Junior. This is my last chance:/

Northwestern CIERA Rejection 3/9 - 477 applications for 7 positions, that is 1.46% acceptance.

Notre Dame Rejection 3/9 - 270 applications for 14 positions; 5.18% acceptance.

Vanderbilt is on Spring break as of 3/9; they intend to send acceptances/rejections early next week, and fill all spaces within the next two weeks.

Well Minnesota said that they're canceling the REU.. how that's possible, I don't know..

Rejection from ND 14 selected from 270 applications. ~5% acceptance

Soap said:
Northwestern CIERA Rejection 3/9 - 477 applications for 7 positions, that is 1.46% acceptance.
4 of the acceptances were from my school (not me, I didn't apply). Sorry, I think they're looking in the Chicago area mostly, that's what I heard.

Haven't heard back from a couple yet (including SULIs). But so far:

Cornell CLASSE (accelerator physics) - acceptance (12 positions, 215 applicants)
UCLA (plasma physics) - rejection (12 positions, >400 applicants)
LIGO - acceptance at Washington site (declined)
Nevis Labs - acceptance, includes some work at Fermilab
MIT MPC/CMSE - rejection (11 positions, 150 applicants)

Having trouble deciding between Nevis and Cornell.

Last edited:
Update for astro people:

MIT Haystack - Accepted
Northwestern CIERA - Rejected
UofMinnesota - program was cancelled
SAO - Rejected

No word on:
UofMichigan
Cornell
AMNH
LIGO

William and Mary Rejection 3/14/16

University of Nebraska -Lincoln Acceptance 03/14

Still haven't heard from:

Baylor
Kansas
Vanderbilt

I was fortunate that my first acceptance came from my top choice. They give you one week to decide!

MIT Haystack -- accepted 3/1, offer accepted
- 11 positions out of ~200
Chicago Physics -- accepted 3/15, offer declined - 24 positions total out of unknown # of applicants
NASA Goddard -- informal phone offer in January, offer declined - applied directly to the department, so 1 out of 1 as far as I know

Keck Northeastern consortium
Boston University Magnetic Fields
American Museum of Natural History
National Solar Observatory

Last edited:
halebopp5294 said:
Update for astro people:

MIT Haystack - Accepted

Kudos!

Decided to take Columbia. Good luck to those waiting on CLASSE.

Anyone heard back from U of M or UCLA yet?

Ramor said:
Anyone heard back from U of M or UCLA yet?
Yes. It seems UCLA has already filled their spots. There were 12 chosen out of 400 applicants.