Physics REUs 2016: Applying & Updates

In summary, the schools that the applicant applied to have received a very low number of applications.
I've been accepted into the MRSEC Columbia University REU and U Michigan Physics REU programs. I have to decide which one to accept today. Has anyone here done either?

Physics news on Phys.org
PeanutButterPuffin said:
I've been accepted into the MRSEC Columbia University REU and U Michigan Physics REU programs. I have to decide which one to accept today. Has anyone here done either?
I have two friends who have done U Michigan, sounded like both of them loved it. Don't know anyone who's done Columbia's.

StudyingPhysics-

Thank you for your reply. I ended up choosing Columbia. Though the stipend is somewhat lower, I am more interested in the research I'll be doing at Columbia.

UC Davis just sent a rejection letter. 14 acceptances out of over 450 applicants.

Rejection letter from Jefferson Lab, anyone hear anything more from Vanderbilt? They're my last chance.

Nope, still nothing. My last chance as well. Good luck.

Anyone hear from USF, LSU's CCT program, Georgia Tech, or UChicago yet? Also, I've been denied by University of Nebraska-Lincoln, if anyone else is still wondering about it.

I got a rejection from LSU: "325 applications for 12 slots". I also got response from Brigham Young University, University of Washington, University of California - Davis, University of California - Los Angeles, Ohio Wesleyan University if anyone is interested.

Are you guys more interested in experimental or theoretical/computational physics?

p1310b said:
I got a rejection from LSU: "325 applications for 12 slots". I also got response from Brigham Young University, University of Washington, University of California - Davis, University of California - Los Angeles, Ohio Wesleyan University if anyone is interested.

Are you guys more interested in experimental or theoretical/computational physics?

Did you apply to LSU's physics program (http://www.phys.lsu.edu/newwebsite/undergraduate/reu_program/) or CCT (computational science http://reu.cct.lsu.edu/) program? I did the CCT one, and haven't heard back yet. Either they lost my application or I'm still in the running? Haha!

I'm a computational physics guy.

I applied to LSU physics program and got a rejection on March 6th. I did not know about CCT.
I am also interested in computational physics.

Hi. An update:

UC Davis - rejected
Penn. St -rejected
U Penn - rejected
Mich. St - rejected
UCLA - rejected
MIT - rejected
U Mich - accepted (declined offer)
Columbia - accepted (accepted offer)
CU Boulder - no reply

For those of you wondering about University of South Florida and U. Chicago, USF told me they're waiting another 2 weeks for their decisions, and U. Chicago should be deciding soon.

Also, any advice for me? I'm waiting on the two above, but one professor has guaranteed me research over the summer (+ stipend), but I have to choose by April 14th (deadline for getting funding). Should I stick it out for the 2 REUs and turn my prof. down? I worked with him the past semester and while the work is interesting, it isn't what I want to keep doing. But experience is experience..

@PeanutButterPuffin Thought I was going to have an REU buddy in this thread, but turns out you're in MRSEC!
In any case, summer in NYC is going to be awesome.

@PeanutButterPuffin nice job on Columbia, I did the Columbia REU last summer and it was a great experience.

Is anyone else doing SULI at Brookhaven? I'm really excited!

@ModestyKing, I would just be honest and tell your professor you're waiting to hear from some REUs, and ask if there will still be a position for you if you don't hear from any of them. My professors offered me this option last year when I was waiting to hear back from people. Surprised that UChicago hasn't told anyone yet, I applied, but heard from SULI back in January so...

Has anyone heard from the TREND program at the University of Maryland? They haven't responded to my email. At this point, I doubt I have a chance, but I'd like to be sure.

@idkidk1212 I never heard back either. I would call them if you're still interested.

ope211 said:
@PeanutButterPuffin nice job on Columbia, I did the Columbia REU last summer and it was a great experience.

Is anyone else doing SULI at Brookhaven? I'm really excited!

@ModestyKing, I would just be honest and tell your professor you're waiting to hear from some REUs, and ask if there will still be a position for you if you don't hear from any of them. My professors offered me this option last year when I was waiting to hear back from people. Surprised that UChicago hasn't told anyone yet, I applied, but heard from SULI back in January so...

Thanks for the tip! Today was that deadline so I decided to refuse my prof's offer, because I got a counter-offer from another prof. for if I don't get accepted into UChicago whose work I'm more interested in!

@Formula and @ope211: Thanks! I'm really excited to go to New York too!

Summary of my results:

MIT Haystack - acceptance (will attend)
U Chicago - acceptance (had to decline :/)
NASA Goddard - Solar Physics - informal acceptance (declined)

AMNH - rejection
Keck Northeastern Astronomical Consortium - rejection

Boston University - Magnetic Fields in Space - no word
National Solar Observatory - no word

ope211 said:
Surprised that UChicago hasn't told anyone yet, I applied, but heard from SULI back in January so...
Chicago emailed me their results on March 15. Not sure what the hold up is.

UChicago sent out rejections a bit ago. Or at least, I had to email them to get my rejection.

I received and accepted an offer at NASA Ames (OSSI) today.

Jprz said:
I received and accepted an offer at NASA Ames (OSSI) today.
Congrats! Did you email them?

Likes Joshy
yeshuamo said:
Congrats! Did you email them?

Admittedly, I e-mailed the education office for this one. I normally e-mail the PI/researcher in attempt to attract their attention, but I could not find their information after probing around. I'm not sure if this led to the offer or at least helped, but I e-mailed them because I definitely have the right skills and supportive coursework to do well in the project, I am super interested and stoked about it, and I wanted to see if I could provoke an answer before other places made an offer.

Likes yeshuamo