'Physics' Terms for Integral quantities?

In summary: I was wondering if there was a term for line integrals where the flux is a quantity associated with the vector field itself.
greswd
'Flux' is often used to describe quantities associated with a surface integral.

I wonder if there are corresponding terms for the line and volume integrals. Linflux? Volux?

Physics news on Phys.org
greswd said:
'Flux' is often used to describe quantities associated with a surface integral.

I wonder if there are corresponding terms for the line and volume integrals. Linflux? Volux?

I'm puzzled. A "flux", by definition, is the rate of flow of something through a surface! You can't remove the surface from it, because that is part of its definition.

This is like asking for an electron with charge -3e.

A "line" flux makes no sense because a mathematical line that we use has no width. A "volume" flux also makes no sense, because a flux through a closed surface, i.e. enclosing a volume, is already part of our standard idea of flux.

Zz.

I think both of you have misunderstood my question.

I was wondering if there is a physics term to label a line integral in the manner in which flux 'labels' surface integrals.

Just want to know whether there are other names for a line integral that relate to physics

greswd said:
I think both of you have misunderstood my question.

I was wondering if there is a physics term to label a line integral in the manner in which flux 'labels' surface integrals.

Just want to know whether there are other names for a line integral that relate to physics

We would have understood you better if you care to explain what you want. For example, what does "...label a line integral in the manner in which flux 'labels' surface integral... " mean? Label?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
We would have understood you better if you care to explain what you want. For example, what does "...label a line integral in the manner in which flux 'labels' surface integral... " mean? Label?
Zz.

Ok pal, don't need to be so condescending. I can't hear the tone of your voice but the one I'm hearing in my head sounds like that. I don't know if its just me or if that's your intention but this is my feedback, You got to be mindful online that text can't convey emotion very well.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are alternate terms related to line and volume integrals like flux is related to surface integrals

I give up.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I give up.

Zz.

I wasn't trying to scold you, I stated that it was just my feedback.

I think that its a good thing. What if you had been offending people all the time without intending to? Relax.

(the reason I mentioned 'condescending is because Zz said "if you care to explain")

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand what flux is. Flux is some quantity passing through a surface, so it is not just a surface integral. It is a surface of a vector field projected normally to said surface.

To my knowledge, there isn't such a term or concept applying to line or volume integrals, as they aren't generally used in the same way. Sometimes you'll see line integrals used similarly with a vector field but it is often just a flux that has been simplified so that the depth is assumed to be unity (or other such simplification).

boneh3ad said:
I think you misunderstand what flux is. Flux is some quantity passing through a surface, so it is not just a surface integral. It is a surface of a vector field projected normally to said surface.

To my knowledge, there isn't such a term or concept applying to line or volume integrals, as they aren't generally used in the same way. Sometimes you'll see line integrals used similarly with a vector field but it is often just a flux that has been simplified so that the depth is assumed to be unity (or other such simplification).
oh, no, I'm not saying that flux is equivalent to surface integrals. Potential difference use line integrals alot.

1. What is an integral quantity in physics?

An integral quantity in physics is a physical quantity that is defined as the sum of all the infinitesimal changes of a related quantity over a given interval. It is represented by the integral symbol (∫) and is often used to calculate cumulative effects or totals.

2. How is an integral quantity different from a derivative quantity?

An integral quantity is calculated by summing up infinitesimal changes over a given interval, while a derivative quantity is calculated by finding the rate of change of a quantity at a specific point. In other words, an integral quantity represents a total or cumulative effect, while a derivative quantity represents an instantaneous change.

3. What are some examples of integral quantities in physics?

Some examples of integral quantities in physics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, work, and electric charge. These quantities can be expressed as the integral of their corresponding derivative quantities over a given interval.

4. How is the concept of integral quantities used in real-world applications?

The concept of integral quantities is used in various real-world applications, including engineering, economics, and statistics. For example, in engineering, the area under a force-displacement curve can be used to calculate the work done on an object. In economics, the integral of a demand curve can be used to calculate the total revenue for a product. In statistics, the integral of a probability density function can be used to calculate the probability of a certain event occurring within a given range.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of integral quantities in physics?

While integral quantities are a useful tool in physics, there are some limitations to their use. For example, they may not accurately represent complex systems with constantly changing rates of change. Additionally, they may not be applicable in situations where the quantity being measured is not continuous or has discontinuities. It is important to consider these limitations when using integral quantities in physics.