Physics undergrad here :D

• Thread starter Cake
  • Start date
In summary, studying physics as an undergraduate provides a deep understanding of fundamental principles and prepares for careers in various fields. A physics program develops analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as knowledge in topics such as mechanics and electromagnetism. Career opportunities for physics undergraduates include research, engineering, data analysis, and education. Misconceptions about studying physics include the belief that it is only for those who excel in math and that it is purely theoretical. To prepare for a physics undergraduate program, a strong background in math and science, as well as critical thinking and curiosity, are important.
Cake
Hey all :D I'm just a young-person from the US who has a propensity for trying too hard and making puns. Also I'm a physics undergrad. That's a thing. I don't know how exactly to make my entrance to the really intense forums so I'm just going to start answering questions in the homework section, or asking, because you know, I'm not a genius. Also since I've been lurking here for a while and I see that Greg responds to every intro thread I'm going to preemptively say: Hi Greg :D I love your froggie :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Please be aware that we have guidelines for how to answer homework questions. Specifically we can't do someone’s homework for them. We can only provide hints when we they have gone astray. In addition, we can only provide the hint if we see that they've shown their work and are making an effort to answer their own question.

jedishrfu said:
Welcome to PF!

Please be aware that we have guidelines for how to answer homework questions. Specifically we can't do someone’s homework for them. We can only provide hints when we they have gone astray. In addition, we can only provide the hint if we see that they've shown their work and are making an effort to answer their own question.
Yessir! I help a lot of people at my university out so I know the schtick pretty well. I don't spoon feed anyone on anything as a personal policy.

Likes jedishrfu
Too early to say what I love most, but what peaks my interest more than anything is Special and General Relativity. I'm still entirely too new to even begin to dive into GR at more than a layman's decent, but SR problems just make me giddy.

Have you seen the book by Kip Thorne called the Science of Interstellar? It covers a lot of cool GR objects like wormholes, and black holes and how they were imaged for the movie.

Also on youtube there's a DIscovery documentary about the same stuff:

Welcome Cake and happy new year!
Good to have you here.
Nice, SR and GR are beautiful parts of physics. I guess you won't have much trouble learning SR if you find a good book and devote enough time to it. But as you know, you need some advanced Math to start learning GR.
But there is no rush. Just try to do good in your courses and learn them well. Then, you can learn some extra Physics and Math sometimes. If you persist, there will come a day that you feel you can start learning GR.(The time for SR comes much sooner.)

jedishrfu said:
Have you seen the book by Kip Thorne called the Science of Interstellar? It covers a lot of cool GR objects like wormholes, and black holes and how they were imaged for the movie.

Also on youtube there's a DIscovery documentary about the same stuff:

I'm kind of ambivalent towards Interstellar but if the book is hard science I'm down. Thanks

Shyan said:
Welcome Cake and happy new year!
Good to have you here.
Nice, SR and GR are beautiful parts of physics. I guess you won't have much trouble learning SR if you find a good book and devote enough time to it. But as you know, you need some advanced Math to start learning GR.
But there is no rush. Just try to do good in your courses and learn them well. Then, you can learn some extra Physics and Math sometimes. If you persist, there will come a day that you feel you can start learning GR.(The time for SR comes much sooner.)
Yeah it's going to be hard at my school to work in the GR sequence as an undergrad like a couple on here have. I'm trying to work in as much mathematical preparation early on as I can to make the harder classes not so hard. I plan on building on those classes further later on to prepare for grad school.

FAQ: Physics undergrad here :D

What is the purpose of studying physics as an undergraduate?

Studying physics as an undergraduate allows you to gain a deep understanding of the fundamental principles and laws that govern the natural world. It also provides a strong foundation for pursuing a variety of careers in fields such as engineering, research, and education.

What skills and knowledge can I expect to gain from a physics undergraduate program?

In a physics undergraduate program, you can expect to develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid understanding of mathematical concepts and scientific methods. You will also gain knowledge in areas such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

What career opportunities are available for physics undergraduates?

Physics undergraduates have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Some common career paths include working as a research scientist, engineer, data analyst, or educator. Many also go on to pursue further education in fields such as physics, astronomy, or engineering.

What are some common misconceptions about studying physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for those who are highly skilled in math. While a strong foundation in math is important, the ability to think critically and creatively is equally crucial in physics. Another misconception is that physics is only for those interested in theoretical concepts, when in fact it has many practical applications in areas such as technology and medicine.

How can I prepare for a physics undergraduate program?

To prepare for a physics undergraduate program, it is important to have a strong background in math and science. Taking courses in calculus, algebra, and physics in high school can help you build a solid foundation. It is also helpful to develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as a curiosity for understanding the natural world.

Back