1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Vector Question - Finding direction

1. Jan 27, 2010 #1
    Two airplanes taxi as they approach the terminal. Plane 1 taxies with a speed of 11.3 m/s due north. Plane 2 taxies with a speed of 7.6 m/s in a direction 22.2° north of west. What is the direction of plane 1 relative to plane 2? Give the angle counterclockwise relative to the north. What is the direction of plane 2 relative to plane 1?

*I solved for magnitude first then velocity*

What is the magnitude of the velocity of plane 1 relative to plane 2?

To solve for the magnitude I found the vector components of plane 2:

Y component: 7.6 * sin(22.2°) = 2.87 m/s
    X component: 7.6 * cos(22.2°)= 7.04 m/s
    To find the final magnitude of the resultant vector I just used the pythagorean theorem after subtracting the plane 1 components FROM the plane 2 components.

2.87 m/s - 11.3 m/s = -8.43 m/s
    7.04 m/s - 0 m/s = 7.04 m/s

Now to find the magnitude I used the pythagorean theorem.
    Using the pythagorean theorom I got 10.98m/s as the relative velocity. This velocity is the same for plane 2 relative to plane 1.

To find the direction of plane 1 to plane 2 I just used the arctan formula

arctan (7.04/-8.43) = -39.86°
    Now since its counterclockwise from north I just added to 360 to get 320° which is the correct answer.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the direction of plane 2 relative to plane 1 however and I've tried using the law of cosines and various other methods but I'm not sure where to go.

I've tried -320 however it is not correct. Any ideas on why?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2010 #2
    Since the plane is headed west, its x component is negative. Thinking rationally about it, a direction "counterclockwise from due north" should be smaller then 90 degrees, because the two planes are _sort of_ moving in the same general direction.

4. Jan 27, 2010 #3
    If it was 40° then it would be in the wrong quadrant wouldn't it? And I've tried -40° which hasn't worked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook