Physics vs Engineering/Finance

In summary: Unemployment rates that are substantially lower than physics gradsb) Pay scales that are substantially higher than physics gradsc) Job security that is substantially higher than physics gradsd) Job satisfaction that is substantially higher than physics gradsThe reality is that physics grads, like all other STEM grads, are in high demand in a job market that is starving for STEM grads. The difference between a tough time finding a job and a slightly easier time finding a job is still finding a job...something that is a lot easier with a physics degree than with an English degree. Yes, job security is higher in engineering, but that's by a matter of degree and not by a matter of kind. Job satisfaction is a highly personal
beamthegreat
Physics is one of the hardest discipline to master. Yet physics graduates, on average, have a tougher time finding jobs and very often earn less than finance/engineering graduates.

Why do you guys do this to yourself? Are you masochists? Do you enjoy pain?

On a serious note: Seriously, why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because it is something I deeply love and wanted to do, and I've had an amazing career out of it.

Think about this while you're laughing at us: what modern conveniences would you NOT be enjoying right now had it not been for all these "masochists" who persevered and became physicists.

Zz.

Likes DeBangis21 and Dale
ZapperZ said:
Because it is something I deeply love and wanted to do, and I've had an amazing career out of it.

Think about this while you're laughing at us: what modern conveniences would you NOT be enjoying right now had it not been for all these "masochists" who persevered and became physicists.

Zz.

No disrespect intended. Genuinely curious. Engineering was hell but it all paid off with a pain-free job with great pay.

Likes symbolipoint
beamthegreat said:
No disrespect intended. Genuinely curious. Engineering was hell but it all paid off with a pain-free job with great pay.
Some people have other priorities than money and their job being pain free.

Likes symbolipoint
a) Because I want to understand the world (nature, logic, mathematics, philosophy).
b) Because there are far more fields a trained physicist could work in than any engineer (of course you need to specialize in that field during your studies, but you're less bound to a certain type of job category from the get go, at least less than with engineering degrees.)
c) Because physicists' jobs, even though they are far less in number than engineering jobs, are usually more challenging, more research oriented and produce more innovative results. There might be more engineering jobs out there, but half of them are nothing but routine and would bore the hell out of a physicist.
d) I am not a masochist, but I like to challenge myself and expand my personal limits: frustration tolerance, endurance, time management, analytic prowess. The harder the challenge, the stronger you get as a person.

Last edited:
Likes rg0ldberg and Orodruin
This is a counter productive thread, one that can only pit one group against another. The hidden agenda is "why am I smarter than you?" which is hardly designed to promote harmony.

I request that the monitors close this thread.

Likes K Murty
beamthegreat said:
Yet physics graduates, on average, have a tougher time finding jobs and very often earn less than finance/engineering graduates
Is that true regarding finance. Do you have a source for that? I would think that finance would be very competitive and not particularly well compensated at entry level.

beamthegreat said:
I am an engineer and did not realize that pain-free jobs with great pay actually exist. I love my job and for much of the past few years have felt like I was almost doing the work I was born to do, but "pain-free" does not apply. Please tell us about your job and how long you have been working it.

edit: in response to your original post: if you find a job you love you never have to work a day in your life. I know that saying is somewhat of an exaggeration, but in spirit it is true. Also, I sincerely believe that a physics degree usually provides a very good education. Will it necessarily be more lucrative than engineering? Of course not. But quality of life isn't really measured in dollars.

jason

I think OP is questioning life choices of physicists - is it wise? When it comes to wisdom (or philosophy in general), there is no simple answer - we all have our own reasons. But I wholeheartedly agree with what @ZapperZ said.

Those of you that remember my earlier posts know that I'm a graduated geophysicist. Academically, I did really well, won a number of awards, scholarships and even summer internship with an oil company. Other students often turned to me for guidance on assignments and quizzes, as if I'm some sort of authority. So what happened? I am a mature age student, and as you grow older and approach your 30s, you realize life is too short to spend it not doing what you love. So I decided to enrol into a physics diploma, learn "non-geophysics" areas of physics, in order to open up pathway for graduate studies in physics.

So, was this wise? Exactly tomorrow I will turn 30 years old, and let me tell you - I have never felt happier! Ask any economist, true value of something is not the monetary value. It is the opportunity cost - what you have given up in order to get it. I study, I teach (tutor other students), and that makes me happy. My time on this rock is precious, irreversible, and I refuse to sell it.

One of my professors once jokingly said to me, "you know you belong in academia if you:
1. are willing to work for significantly less money than your industry counterparts,
2. are ok with working with zero job security, and
3. happy to be chipping away at a problem nobody's ever heard of (or cares about)."

Likes rg0ldberg
beamthegreat said:
Why do you guys do this to yourself? Are you masochists? Do you enjoy pain?
You could ask the same question to a bodybuilder - does he enjoy pain? Does he enjoy waking up at 5am, lifting weights, and eating salads all his life? Another masochist, right?
Karl Marx believed that people are not happiest when they're idle, but rather when they're engaged into meaningful work. To those with high level of self-awareness, "easy" and "pain-free" is simply boring - devoid of any challenge. :smile:

Hypercube said:
2. are ok with working with zero job security
Umm, industry doesn’t have tenure.

Likes Hypercube and Orodruin
I was reluctant to respond to this thread at first. Whether it was the OP's intention or not, it comes across as "my life is better than yours because I chose to go into engineering and you didn't" and based on that premise, poses a question of why someone might choose a "worse" option.

There's a problem with the initial premise that engineering graduates have a tougher time finding jobs and earn less than engineering graduates and what that implies. Even though it is perhaps technically true, it's not like engineering grads all have employers lining up outside their dorm rooms a year before they graduate and physics grads all end up fighting each other for the last of the fast food burger-flipping jobs that will eventually be replaced by intelligent machines. The differences on average are actually quite small, and to many people, small enough not to be of any major consequence.

If you look up statistical data on employment for those who have taken physics, they have low unemployment, high job satisfaction and salaries that seem comparable to those of engineering graduates. Even if it shakes out that on average physics majors earn ~ $5k less than engineering majors, this hardly makes a difference in overall quality of life, opportunities, health, etc.

One of the big differences between physics and engineering degrees is that engineering is a profession. Graduates are able to search for jobs as engineers and the schools will have industrial connections and generally the programs are oriented towards producing bachelor's level graduates ready to go out and begin work in entry-level engineering positions. Physics programs are academic. They educate their students in physics, generally with the intention of preparing them for graduate school. So graduates when they leave academia don't have the advantage of being able to search for "physicist" jobs the way engineers can search for "engineer" jobs. But that doesn't mean they are as a rule that they don't get jobs or that they are doomed to a life of burger-flipping. It does mean that there's a good chance they'll end up with a vocation that is not doing research in physics.

Some people, when they look at their options, they see these things are more-or-less on par with each other. It would be like comparing a $300,000.00 house with a $330,000.00 house. Yes, one might be worth a little more, but there are other factors to consider: the type of trees in the yard, the size of the driveway, the floorplan, whether the backyard will be a good place for your dog...

Likes StatGuy2000 and Dale

What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a natural science that studies the fundamental principles of matter, energy, and their interactions. It focuses on understanding the laws of nature and explaining the behavior of the physical world. Engineering, on the other hand, applies scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, and systems that solve real-world problems.

How is physics related to finance?

Physics and finance may seem like two unrelated fields, but they are actually closely connected. Physics principles such as mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, and risk assessment are widely used in finance to analyze and predict market trends, develop investment strategies, and manage risk. In fact, many physicists are employed in the finance industry due to their strong analytical and problem-solving skills.

Which is better to study, physics or engineering?

This ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are passionate about understanding the fundamental laws of nature and conducting research, physics may be the better choice for you. However, if you are more interested in applying scientific principles to solve real-world problems and have a hands-on approach, engineering may be a better fit.

Is physics or engineering more difficult?

Both physics and engineering require a strong foundation in math and science, so they can be challenging for different reasons. Physics may be more theoretical and require a deep understanding of complex concepts, while engineering may involve practical application and problem-solving skills. Ultimately, the difficulty may vary depending on the individual and their strengths.

Can you have a career in both physics and engineering/finance?

Yes, it is possible to have a career that combines physics with engineering or finance. For example, there are jobs in the finance industry that require a background in physics, such as financial analyst or quantitative researcher. Additionally, some engineers may use physics principles in their work, such as designing new materials or developing new technologies. It is also possible to pursue a career in both fields separately, as many skills and knowledge learned in one can be applied to the other.