Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pi, momentum, and kinetic energy

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    There is a geometric way one can show the relation between kinetic energy and momentum which is a mathematical curiosity in my opinion. Let the mass of an object be equal to 2 PI. Then:

P = 2 pi v

KE = 1/2 (2 pi ) v sq
    or
    KE = pi v sq

Hence, graphically, if we set v = r, where r is the radius of a circle, we have a circle whose circumference is momentum, 2 pi v, and whose area is the kinetic energy, pi v sq. Thus, for the case where the mass is 2 pi, we see the kinetic energy is geometrically bounded by the momentum of the object. Interesting.
    Wonder what would happen to this circle at relativistic velocities?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2015 #2
    ive been thinking about pi and energy lately.

to simplify things here, ur just describing cosx/2. ie graph cosx...d/dt cosx is -sinx. pi rad of -sinx is (-1, +1 or "total ke" until it goes back down to -1 ie pe). relativistically speaking, the extreme case is analogous to an infinite amp, (staying with cos waves.) ie lim v---> c dt----->0, hence large distance(high amp) and no oscillation.

4. May 26, 2015 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Well, momentum in SR can take the form: d2dec44ba56c41a31b4d334b144b51d6.png where m0 is the invariant mass and gamma is the lorentz factor:
    daa6c3acdd12b843a2f3bf4d9d757a28.png

The relativistic relation between kinetic energy and momentum is given by:

7dbc3a29632b88dcf0645840b1bf5a53.png

I haven't tried turning this relationship into a circle, but you're welcome to try.

5. May 26, 2015 #4
    Radius ---> infinity.

6. May 26, 2015 #5
    Also just to add: the classic example of this in relativity is in the expansion of the universe and why we see "light years away" not a distance away at far distances.

7. May 26, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

This has nothing to do with the thread topic.

8. May 27, 2015 #7
    I personally don't think there is any significance here. For the cases where v is not equal to r, the properties of a circle disappear. There is no fundamental property here that can be generalized to all cases of v, and is nothing more than a result of simply choosing the variables to get the desired outcome.

9. May 27, 2015 #8
    I'm a little agree with it, for the special case won't exist if the special amount ##\pi## is replaced with any others.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook