Picking up CS major very late in the Physics game?

In summary, the individual has completed the requirements for a Physics BSc major and is currently considering pursuing a CS minor. However, they have recently decided that graduate school in physics may not be the right path for them and are now wondering if it would be better to complete both degrees or just focus on one. They have heard that a Physics degree can be beneficial in software and CS related fields, but are unsure if they have the necessary skills and if a Masters degree in CS would be a better option. They have also considered taking some time to work in industry before deciding to pursue further education. Ultimately, they are seeking advice on whether or not it would be worth it to complete a CS degree at this stage.
nachtmerrie
I have currently completed the requirements for my Physics BSc major and have completed a math minor and only have two classes left to complete my CS minor. This late in the game I have been doing a lot of thinking and have decided that graduate school in physics seems like the wrong path for myself. Instead I would like to pursue a career where I preferably would use both knowledge from physics and CS but would also be satisfied working in an unrelated software field.

I am wondering what you all think of completing a CS degree with my Physics degree. I know it is VERY late in the game to be making this decision, which is what worries me. Would it be better to get both degrees or finish the Physics one and then pursue the CS degree? I mean, my degrees would be segmented if I continued into CS, but why not just keep going when I am allowed to take the classes?

I have heard much about people with a Physics B.S. getting into software and CS related fields, yet I imagine this is only so when the proper skill set is present. Clearly this skill set isn't completely derived from a Physics degree and some outside studying of language and algorithms is needed, so would it be better to at least have the coursework to show for this?

On the other hand, would be better to try and pursue a Masters degree in CS. I have heard these programs aren't as competitive as Physics. Would the B.S. in Physics and M.S. in CS be a better combo?

Thank you very much, I appreciate any feedback.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously, it will cost you more money. Have you been taking out student loans? If you have, then you'll be in quite a bit of debt after you're through.

If you're just wanting to get a programming job, then I believe you have the background to learn a few languages and get your foot in the door somewhere as an entry level programmer. However, if you want to move into research, then you'll need a graduate degree.

How hard is it to pick up a CS major with the time you have left? It's probably not worth extending your time in college just to get the double major. The most important skills of programming can only be learned from working on projects, so just taking courses to take courses isn't that useful (of course, they can impart a lot of specific knowledge that can be hard to learn otherwise).

Having a physics background can be an asset depending on the job you apply for. It shows you have mathematical skills, and can understand and work with mathematical models. Some CS majors can't do those things very well. Having a physics B.S and a CS M.S would probably look good. But if you can skip the masters degree and go straight into the job market, that is almost certainly better.

Thank you for the replies. I feel underqualified for a programming position, but have found a few jobs in my area that specified that a physics degree would suffice for the position. Junior software development, simulation, etc. I guess now I have to make a choice as to which languages I need to learn or specifically improve on. I know Python, C, and Java, and will have more training in Java before I graduate.

I have always wanted to go into research, but would quite honestly like to take some time and find a job in industry and work a few years before deciding to go back to school and further into debt. I thank you for the sobering advice. As nice as it would be to sit by and take more classes and get a CS degree, I don't have the money.

nachtmerrie said:
Thank you for the replies. I feel underqualified for a programming position, but have found a few jobs in my area that specified that a physics degree would suffice for the position. Junior software development, simulation, etc. I guess now I have to make a choice as to which languages I need to learn or specifically improve on. I know Python, C, and Java, and will have more training in Java before I graduate.

You might feel under-qualified, but I'd leave that distinction to the hiring committee with whom you're interviewing. You might be just what they're looking for. :smile:

The languages you've listed are good ones to know. I suggest adding a scripting language or two, such as JavaScript, PHP, or Perl. If they aren't a specific requirement for a given position, they are incredibly useful tools that will allow you to be more efficient at work.

nachtmerrie said:
I have always wanted to go into research, but would quite honestly like to take some time and find a job in industry and work a few years before deciding to go back to school and further into debt. I thank you for the sobering advice. As nice as it would be to sit by and take more classes and get a CS degree, I don't have the money.

You're welcome! I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide. :smile:

I think its a good idea to get the CS degree. It could easily pay for itself. There are many jobs that explicitly want a CS degree. I think that people with physics degrees struggle to compete with people trained in CS for these types of jobs.

This is an intentionally out-of-order response.

nachtmerrie said:
I am wondering what you all think of completing a CS degree with my Physics degree. I know it is VERY late in the game to be making this decision, which is what worries me.
How late? Are you graduating the end of this summer? The end of the fall semester? Next spring? You didn't say. If it's the end of this summer, I would say that that "VERY late" is too late. The die has already been cast. There's a good deal you can do if you are graduating in December, a whole lot more if it's next May. I'll have more to say on this later.
DimReg said:
Having a physics background can be an asset depending on the job you apply for. It shows you have mathematical skills, and can understand and work with mathematical models. Some CS majors can't do those things very well.
Most CS majors can't even program. That's why software companies typically ask fresh-out job candidates to do things like write a function that reverses a string in place or write a program that prints the numbers from 1 to N, in order, except numbers that are multiples of 3 or 5 are replaced with a string: "Fizz" for multiples of 3, "Buzz" for multiples of 5, "FizzBuzz" for multiples of 3 and 5.

As far as mathematical and physical reasoning goes, saying that most CS majors can't do those things very well is an understatement. From my experience, it's almost all CS majors except those few who minored in physics or engineering. There are a slew of jobs out there for which the ability to program is an essential but nonetheless secondary skill. First and foremost is the ability to do mathematical and physical reasoning.
nachtmerrie said:
I have heard much about people with a Physics B.S. getting into software and CS related fields, yet I imagine this is only so when the proper skill set is present.

On the other hand, would be better to try and pursue a Masters degree in CS.
As I mentioned above, there are a slew of jobs where the ability to program is an essential but nonetheless secondary skill. That it's secondary suggests that a minor, rather than a major, is all that is needed. A double major requires a lot more work but has little reward.

Your "on the other hand" is a much better option. Nowadays, having a masters degree is a good part of what distinguishes Joe Blow from Susan Extraordinary. Getting back to my original question (what do you mean by "VERY late"?), here are some things you can do if you are graduating next May:
  • If your school has a senior thesis option, take it. Do your thesis on some aspect of computational physics. Recruit a CS professor as to server as a co-advisor on the project. If your school doesn't have such an option, perhaps they have an independent study option.
  • Develop contacts in your CS department. Your physics department is most likely clueless about helping their undergrads land a job with only a bachelors degree. Your CS department is a bit more clueful in this regard.
  • Hit your college's job fairs next fall and next spring. You either want to land a full-time permanent job that will pay you to get an advanced degree or you want to land a paid internship so you can bank money to pay for that advanced degree. In this new economy you do want that advanced degree. A properly paid internship means you are making as much in three or four months as a TA makes in an entire year.

One final thought: Have you thought of getting an MBA? Those few who know the technical and business sides of business are worth a lot. Those very few who know the business and can manage it are worth a whole, whole lot.

Last edited:
D H said:
Most CS majors can't even program. That's why software companies typically ask fresh-out job candidates to do things like write a function that reverses a string in place or write a program that prints the numbers from 1 to N, in order, except numbers that are multiples of 3 or 5 are replaced with a string: "Fizz" for multiples of 3, "Buzz" for multiples of 5, "FizzBuzz" for multiples of 3 and 5.

As far as mathematical and physical reasoning goes, saying that most CS majors can't do those things very well is an understatement. From my experience, it's almost all CS majors except those few who minored in physics or engineering. There are a slew of jobs out there for which the ability to program is an essential but nonetheless secondary skill. First and foremost is the ability to do mathematical and physical reasoning.

basically what I meant, but I didn't feel I could state it as strongly. Every major employer will have an experience of interviewing/hiring a top CS student only to find they are a terrible programmer. Just get some experience (d h has some good suggestions above)

1. Can I still be successful in a CS major if I started late in the Physics game?

Yes, it is possible to be successful in a CS major even if you started late in the Physics game. While it may require some extra effort and dedication, many students have successfully transitioned into CS majors from other fields.

2. Will my background in Physics help or hinder my progress in a CS major?

Having a background in Physics can be both helpful and challenging when pursuing a CS major. Some concepts in Physics, such as mathematical and logical reasoning, can be beneficial in understanding CS concepts. However, the two fields have different approaches and methodologies, so you may need to adapt and learn new ways of thinking.

3. Are there any specific courses or skills I should focus on to catch up with other CS majors?

It would be helpful to take courses in programming and computer science fundamentals, such as data structures and algorithms, to catch up with other CS majors. Additionally, developing strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills will also be beneficial in the field of CS.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage when applying for internships or jobs compared to students who started in CS from the beginning?

While starting late in the Physics game may put you at a disadvantage when applying for internships or jobs, it is not impossible to overcome it. Employers often look for a mix of technical skills and soft skills, such as adaptability, persistence, and a strong work ethic. If you can demonstrate your passion for CS and your willingness to learn, you can still have a successful career in the field.

5. How can I make the most out of my transition into a CS major?

To make the most out of your transition into a CS major, it is essential to be proactive and dedicated. Take advantage of resources such as tutoring, study groups, and office hours to catch up on any missed concepts. It would also be beneficial to network and connect with other CS majors and professionals in the field to gain insights and advice.