Multiple BJT Analysis: Homework Statement

In summary, the conversation discusses the analysis of a multiple BJT circuit, starting with the DC analysis using Thevenin's theorem and KCL equations. The AC analysis involves using a simplified hybrid-pi model and Ohm's law to find the voltage and current at a specific node. The conversation also touches on the consideration of voltage drops across dependent current sources in the circuit.
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Hi everyone, this is not homework, but I can't seem to see something.

I have a multiple BJT circuit I've drawn, and I want to analyze it:

IMG_0951.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume the transistor ##\beta##s are equal for both transistors and are known. Assume all resistances and capacitances are known.

DC Analysis

The DC analysis would be straightforward. The capacitor would eliminate the left branch of the circuit, and the rest would be analyzed as follows:

1. Use Thevenin's theorem to obtain ##R_{th}## and ##V_{th}## at the base. Write a loop equation around the BE-loop and use the relationship ##I_{B1} = \frac{I_{E1}}{\beta + 1}## to find ##I_{E1}##:

$$I_{E1} = \frac{V_{th} - V_{BE1}}{R_{E1} + \frac{R_{B1}}{\beta + 1}}$$

2. Then we can find ##I_{C1} = \alpha I_{E1}## and ##I_{B1} = \frac{I_{C1}}{\beta}## assuming the transistor is active.

3. To verify ##Q_1## is active, we must show ##V_{CE1} = V_{C1} - V_{E1} = I_{C1}R_{C1} - I_{E1}R_{E1} > 0.7 V##, assuming ##V_{BE1} = 0.7V## as usual.

So the first transistor is done.

4. Now we can write a KCL equation that says:

$$I_{B2} = I_{B1} + I_{C1} - I_{E1}$$

To find ##I_{B2}##.

5. Then we would simply use ##I_{C2} = \beta I_{B2}## and ##I_{E2} = I_{C2} + I_{B2}## to find the remaining DC currents.

6. To make sure ##Q_2## is active, we must show ##V_{CE2} = V_{C2} - V_{E2} = I_{C2}R_{C2} - I_{E2}R_{E2} > 0.7 V##, assuming ##V_{BE2} = 0.7V## as usual.

All the DC analysis would be done at this point I believe.

AC Analysis

I have drawn the simplified hybrid-pi model for both transistors to make the analysis easier.

As you can see the in the image, finding ##v_{\pi 1}## is easy by using a voltage divider. Then finding ##i_{c1}## would be easy using the bias conditions.

Next I would find ##i_{b1}## using Ohm's law. Now I have ##i_{b1}## and ##i_{c1}## in hand. These two currents form the ##I_x## current I have labelled in the image.

My question is, how do I analyze the bottom portion of the circuit?

All I have is the two current relations I wrote down in the image. I can't seem to see what's next. If I had the voltage at the node I would be able to continue.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wait, I had a brain malfunction earlier. I think I studied for too long without a break.

Would the voltage at the node where ##I_x## is simply be ##v_{C1} = i_{C1} R_{C1} = g_m v_{\pi 1} R_{C1}##?

If so, most of the remaining problem can be solved using Ohm's law.

I have learned something very interesting about straightening the topology of a circuit.

Sorry for this post, but something dawned on me. Doesn't the dependent current source also have a voltage drop? I have never been asked to consider the voltage drop across one of these sources.

This would affect the node voltage I'm looking for slightly. Replacing the dependent current source by an impedance ##Z_{\pi 1} = \frac{1}{g_{m 1}}## the voltage at the node would be:

$$V_x = v_{C1} - v_x = i_{C1}R_{C1} - i_{C1} Z_{\pi 1} = i_{C1} \left[ R_{C1} - \frac{1}{g_{m 1}} \right]$$

With that being said, I think the problem is solved. I will take a break now.

1. What is Multiple BJT Analysis?

Multiple BJT Analysis is a method used to analyze circuits that contain multiple bipolar junction transistors (BJTs). It involves using circuit analysis techniques, such as Kirchhoff's laws and the BJT equations, to determine the voltages, currents, and power dissipation in the circuit.

2. Why is Multiple BJT Analysis important?

Multiple BJT Analysis is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of complex circuits that contain multiple BJTs. This is crucial in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, as BJTs are commonly used in a variety of applications, such as amplifiers and digital logic circuits.

3. What are the key components of Multiple BJT Analysis?

The key components of Multiple BJT Analysis include understanding the BJT equations, applying Kirchhoff's laws, and using circuit analysis techniques such as nodal and mesh analysis. It also involves understanding the different modes of operation for BJTs, such as the cutoff, active, and saturation regions.

4. How do you solve a Multiple BJT Analysis problem?

To solve a Multiple BJT Analysis problem, you first need to draw the circuit diagram and label all the components with their respective values. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and the BJT equations to set up a system of equations. Finally, you can use algebraic or numerical methods to solve for the desired voltages, currents, or power dissipation in the circuit.

5. What are some common challenges in Multiple BJT Analysis?

Some common challenges in Multiple BJT Analysis include identifying the correct mode of operation for each BJT, dealing with non-idealities in the circuit, and solving for multiple unknowns in a system of equations. It is also important to double-check your calculations and assumptions to ensure an accurate analysis of the circuit.