Piecewise Linear Programming with Multiple Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in linear programming involving a non-symmetric matrix and a piecewise linear function. The objective is to minimize the sum of multiple piecewise linear functions with known elements except for one row. The problem also includes constraints and the use of a maximization algorithm is suggested as a potential solution.
smehdi
Dear Friends
I have a question about linear programming. It would be great to have your comments or suggestions.
Consider the followings
\begin{equation}
\\
Y = [y_{1}, y_{2}, \cdots, y_{n}]
\\
G = [g_{1}, g_{2}, \cdots, g_{n}]
\\
\textbf{X} =
\begin{pmatrix}
0 & x_{1,2} & \cdots & x_{1,n} \\
x_{2,1} & 0 & \cdots & x_{2,n} \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
x_{n,1} & x_{n,2} & \cdots & 0
\end{pmatrix}
\\
\end{equation}
##\textbf{X}## is not symmetric. Here I show the ##i##th row of matrix ##\textbf{X}## by subscript ##(i,:)##, e.g., ##X_{(2,:)} = [x_{2,1}, 0, \cdots, x_{2,n}]## is the second row vector of matrix ##\textbf{X}## and subscript ##(:,i)## shows the ##i##th column vector.

The problem is
\begin{equation}
\begin{aligned}
& \min &Y = \sum_{j=1}^{n} y_{j}\\
& \text{subject to}
& X_{(i,:)} G^T \geq A \\
&& X_i \geq 0
\end{aligned}
\end{equation}
in which ##i## is fixed, say ##i=2##, matrix ##G## is known, elements of ##\textbf{X}## are also known except the ##i##th row and ##X_{(i,:)}## should be found. Each of the elements in ##Y_i## is a function of the column vector in ##\textbf{X}## of the same index , i.e.,
$$
y_{j} = f(\textbf{X}(:,j))
$$
I googled and found that the function ##f## that I am working with is a piecewise linear function! Actually here the problem is not to find the minimum of a piecewise linear function, but to find the minimum of sum over multiple piecewise linear functions!
Since I am totally new in the filed of linear programming I don't know how such a problem should be solved!
Does anybody have any comments or know some references about how I could solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does ##X_i \geq 0## mean? It does not fit to the other notation.

As all but one element of X(:,j) is known, it is possible to introduce functions gj which cover those dependencies. Define ##Z=X_{i,:}## and ##Z_j=X_{i,j}##

$$\text{Maximize}~ Y = \sum_{j=1}^{n} g_j(Z_j)$$
with the constraint
$$\sum_{j=1}^{n} Z_j G_j \geq A$$
and maybe some other constraint I don't understand.

Depending on how ugly f is, a usual maximization algorithm could work.

mfb said:
What does ##X_i \geq 0## mean? It does not fit to the other notation.

As all but one element of X(:,j) is known, it is possible to introduce functions gj which cover those dependencies. Define ##Z=X_{i,:}## and ##Z_j=X_{i,j}##

$$\text{Maximize}~ Y = \sum_{j=1}^{n} g_j(Z_j)$$
with the constraint
$$\sum_{j=1}^{n} Z_j G_j \geq A$$
and maybe some other constraint I don't understand.

Depending on how ugly f is, a usual maximization algorithm could work.

Thank you mfb for your hint.
I meant ##x_{i,j} \geq 0##.
##f## is a convex increasing piecewise linear function. I think it is not ugly that much :)

Oh great, then I would expect a single minimum without additional local minima. Every minimization algorithm should find that. If f is not decreasing, your constraint on the sum should always lead to equality, which means you can directly include it in the parameter space (for example, let one of the unknowns be fixed by all others via this condition).

Likes smehdi

1. What is piecewise linear programming?

Piecewise linear programming is a mathematical optimization technique used to solve problems with linear objectives and constraints, where the decision variables can take on discrete values. It involves breaking down a nonlinear objective function into smaller linear segments and solving each segment separately.

2. How is piecewise linear programming different from traditional linear programming?

Piecewise linear programming allows for discrete values in the decision variables, while traditional linear programming only allows for continuous values. This makes piecewise linear programming better suited for solving certain types of problems, such as those with fixed or limited options.

3. What are some common applications of piecewise linear programming?

Piecewise linear programming is commonly used in industries such as transportation, telecommunications, and finance. It can be used to optimize routes, schedule resources, and make financial decisions.

4. What are the limitations of piecewise linear programming?

Piecewise linear programming is limited to problems with linear objectives and constraints. It also requires the decision variables to be discrete, which may not always be feasible in real-world situations. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for solving very large problems.

5. What are some techniques used to solve piecewise linear programming problems?

Some techniques used to solve piecewise linear programming problems include the branch and bound method, which systematically explores all possible solutions, and the simplex method, which is an iterative algorithm that finds the optimal solution by moving along the edges of the feasible region.