1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pion decay (tell me if I'm approaching it correctly!)

1. Aug 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A neutral pion may decay into two photons. A particular pion is traveling along the x axis when it decays into two photos, the first going directly along the +x axis, the second going directly back along the -x axis. The energy of the photons is measured and it is found that E1 is n times more energetic than E2. Find the velocity u of the pion.

2. Relevant equations

1) relativistic momentum = gamma *m*u where u is velocity, m is mass
    2) momentum of a photon is h/wavelength = h*frequency/c (I'm denoting frequency by nu).

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to do this using conservation of momentum. I'd like to know if my solution is correct.

Pi = Pf (via conservation of momentum for isolated system)

so

gamma*m*u = h*nu1/c - h*nu2/c (the minus sign accounts for the fact that the photons move in opposite directions along the x axis)

but as given above, E1 = n*E2, so

gamma*m*u = h*nu2 (n - 1)/c

Then I solved for u using algebra (I didn't forget about the u in gamma, I squared everything and solved for u afterwards).

Can that be right? Or am I thinking way too simplistically here?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi quasar_4! :smile:

(have a nu: ν :wink:)

It's a bit difficult to tell without seeing your final calculations,

but it looks as if you haven't used a conservation of energy equation. :confused:

You need a conservation of momentum equation and a conservation of energy equation, just as in the Newtonian case (and ν needn't come into it). :wink:

4. Aug 13, 2009 #3
    hello, tiny-tim! :-D

I need both? Hmm, I thought that I could do it just with conservation of momentum OR conservation of energy. We only have one unknown, so two equations and one unknown! What am I missing here? Why do we need to use both the conserved quantities?

(It's been a long, long time since I took any sort of modern physics class... I feel like such a dork for not remembering this!) :redface:

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are three equations and three unknowns. The equations are

Momentum Conservation
    Energy Conservation
    E1=n E2

The unknowns are
    u, E1 and E2.

Your answer should come out in terms of n, c and the rest-mass of the pion.

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Actually, the rest-mass of the pion drops out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook