Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pipe stress analysis for spring support selection

1. Aug 13, 2012 #1
    Dear all,

Welcome to this post.

I have a question. I have a main piping loop around a cylindrical vessel for which stress analsysis is dont and supported properly. Additonal six loops are to be installed in that main loop. This additional weight is coming on the main piping loop. The additional small size pipe loops are connected to the vessel nozzles. We need to support this additional load of pipe and valves. mY QUESTION is: Is it required to do the analysis for the main as welll as sub loop pipes? Or only additional piping loops can be modelled and analysed? Kindly suggest.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2012 #2
    If someone did an analysis for a system and you add stuff to that original system, is that original analysis still valid? The answer is maybe. It depends on the original system, the original analysis, the modifications, and the experience of the person making the justification. If you don't know the answer to that, you need to find an expert that can provide that consulting service.

FYI, throwing around relative terms like "small" is not recommended for piping systems.

4. Sep 2, 2012 #3
    Dear Sir,
    I agree with Jehake.
    Would be interesting to have more details and to have a look at the routing. As rule of thumb you can consider that branches can modify stress results if their diameter are at least 40% of the main pipe. There are many schools about this value. Which code are you using (Asme, EN,...)?. By the way one of the weakest point of the small branch could be the branch connection with the main pipe. So you could insert in your model a small part of the main pipe (i.e. till the first stop, but there are other good approches).
    If you need more help fell free to contact me at tech@vannella.com.
    Best regards.

Corrado Vannella
    www.vannella.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook