Designing a Safe Beam Support for an Exhaust Pipe

In summary, a person has recently taken on an engineering job and has been tasked with designing a simple beam support for an exhaust pipe. They have decided to consult Physics Forums for advice and have attached a picture of their design. They are currently focusing on understanding the theory and have not yet calculated any numbers. They need to find the yield stress of the material and compare it to the bending stress caused by the load from the pipe. They also need to calculate the load on each support and model the top beam as a fixed end beam. They are seeking advice on how to design the midspan of the top beam and have been advised to assume a simply-supported beam instead of a fixed-end beam. They also need to draw a free-body diagram and
hughfrancis89
Hi there! I have recently taken on an engineering job and have been tasked with designing a simple beam support for an exhaust pipe.

Because I'm still studying and I want to make sure I do this properly, I have decided to consult Physics Forums, as reading others posts have helped me so much in the past.

I have attached a picture of the design to this post. Basically I've just got to make sure there is a significant safety factor against yielding with the setup.

GeneratorFrame.jpg

I don't have any numbers to work with currently, I'm just getting the theory down pat first.

I assume I need to find the yield stress of the material, and compare that to the bending stress currently caused by the load from the pipe. Also, how would I calculate the load caused by the pipe on each support? Would it just be the weight of the pipe divided by two (due to the two supports) or would it be more complicated than that, because the supports arent evenly spaced?

Also I assume to model the top beam I would just use a fixed end beam as in FIG 2.

Thanks for the advice, apologies for the simple question!

Hugh

Engineering news on Phys.org
hughfrancis89: We don't really know the fixity of your top beam. Therefore, it might be safer for designing the midspan of the top beam if you assume a simply-supported beam for the top beam, instead of a fixed-end beam.

Draw a free-body diagram of the pipe and hanger supports. Use static equilibrium equations (summation of forces, and summation of moments) to solve for the tensile force in each hanger.

If you want a safety factor against yielding of, e.g., 1.50, then the applied bending stress on your beam should not exceed the beam material tensile yield strength divided by 1.50.

Important thing to remember:

Yield strength is typically a single cycle load application. In your exhaust system, do you anticipate any vibration or cyclic loadings? In so, then you need to also look at fatigue.

Thanks for the replies! I should model the pipe as a distributed load, right?

Looks like two point loads to me. Why would you think of it as a distributed load?

hughfrancis89 said:
I should model the pipe as a distributed load, right?
hughfrancis89: Yes, that is correct, if you are referring to paragraph 2 of post 2, to solve for the hanger point loads.

Related to Designing a Safe Beam Support for an Exhaust Pipe

1. What is a basic beam support?

A basic beam support is a structure or mechanism that is used to support and distribute the weight of a beam. It helps to keep the beam in place and prevents it from collapsing or bending under its own weight or external forces.

2. What are the different types of basic beam supports?

There are several types of basic beam supports, including fixed supports, roller supports, and pinned supports. Fixed supports are rigid and prevent the beam from moving in any direction. Roller supports allow for movement in one direction, while pinned supports allow for rotation as well as movement in one direction.

3. How do I determine the appropriate basic beam support for my project?

The appropriate basic beam support for your project will depend on several factors, such as the type and weight of the beam, the load it will be supporting, and the desired movement or flexibility of the beam. It is important to consult with a structural engineer or use a beam support calculator to determine the best option.

4. What are common issues or problems with basic beam supports?

Some common issues with basic beam supports include inadequate support for the weight or load of the beam, improper installation or placement, and failure to account for external forces or environmental factors. It is important to carefully plan and design the beam support to avoid these issues.

5. Can I modify or repair a basic beam support?

In some cases, a basic beam support may need to be modified or repaired. This should only be done by a qualified professional, as any changes to the support structure could compromise the stability and safety of the beam. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain beam supports to prevent the need for major repairs or replacements.