1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Piston thermodynamics - find P, V and T

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A horizontal insulated cylinder contains a frictionless non-conducting piston. On each side of the piston are 54L of the same monatomic ideal gas with the ratio of heap capatities (C_p/C_v) = gamma = 5/3 at 1atm and 273K. Heat is slowly supplied through an inserted heating element(negilible volume) to the gas on the left side of the chamber until the piston compressed the gas on the right side to 7.59atm. What is the temperature on the right side and the left side?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I recognized that for the right side of the piston, it goes through an adiabatic process for which no heat is involved. I found the volume after compression from the equation PV^gamma = constant. V_f = 16L. Then the temperature after compression is found using PV/T = constant and T_f = 614K.

For the left side where heat is added, I'm having trouble finding it out. I know that V_f = 92L. How do I find T_f though?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the pressure on the left? You know its volume. So, you can figure out its temperature from the ideal gas equation.

AM

4. Oct 20, 2009 #3
    The pressure after expansion isn't given.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok. But you can easily figure it out. Think about it. How are the pressures on the left and right sides related?

AM

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5
    Oh! Is it equal?

Of course...stupid me. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook