1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Plane equation perpendicular to line

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. Find the equation of the plane containing the line (x,y,z)=(5+4t, -5-3t,2) and perpendicular to the line (x,y,z)=(2-3t,3-4t,5+7t).

2. Relevant equations
    Cross product? Dot product? Ax+By+Cz=D?

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really new with this material and any aid would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I can think of to do would be the cross product of (4,-3,0) and (-3, -4, 7).
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

A normal to the plane is <-3, -4, 7>, which I got from the equation of the perpendicular line. You're given that the plane contains the line (x, y, z) = (5 + 4t, -5 - 3t, 2), so it should be a simple matter to find a point on this line, which I will call (x0, y0, z0). Once you have a point on a plane and a normal to the plane, the equation of the plane can be gotten by dotting the vector (x - x0, y - y0, z - z0) with the plane's normal vector.
  4. Jan 24, 2010 #3
    Why do I need to dot the vector? Is this correct?

@ t=1, a point on the line l1=(9,-8,2)

(x-9,y+8,z-2) (dot) (-3,-4,7)=-3(x-9)-4(y+8)+7(z-2)=0
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?